Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

La Feile Padraig - Anybody Planting Today??

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: tagwex
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: Blowin
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: La Feile Padraig - Anybody Planting Today?? Reply with quote

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all,

Is anyone putting their first early spuds down today?

I always used to do it on St. Patrick’s day but this year my seed are not chitting very well. I have them on the north window cill of the shed for the last few weeks but the sprouts are very small on them.

Should I plant them anyway? They are going into well drained raised beds and will be covered with fleece.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was tempted to sow a half row of earlies today but its been raining all day. i might wait until next weekend before sowing anything..early peas,carrots,onion sets all sown towards the end of march or 1st week in april. i think you should go for it..sow if you get a chance.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mantis tiller out started first time whopee. all ground tilled,Was going to plant first earlies but rain cancelled play so into green house. Sowed Cabbage Savoy, Parsley curley leaved, Broccoli,Celeriac and lettuce. Agree with above so will plant from now on If it stays dry and cover with cloches, Planted up new herbacious border, still have some dividing and digging over oof the other,
Lawns will be treated with Iron next week and scarified soon ater moss will do for hanging baskets and then Ahem dont tell everyone but 2-4-D will get put out for Dandilions and pearlworth and daisys,
All Dahlias planted up and Cannas watered for first time from now on it all hands to the tiller, Hopefully the new Hens will arrive after easter as the Chick inn is up and running, New compost heap to be readied as last years dug in for spuds, Thinking of getting worms for a new wormery now I know a bit more than the soggy mess I had before. From Now until October it flat out good luck enjoy the gardening and keep posting for this Anorack...

Last edited by Greengage on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a nice clear day that I'd considered it. I took the soil temperature and it was a fraction below zero! Will wait for some warmth.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: New Potatoes Reply with quote

Had a good run of weather in the midlands last cuple of weeks. Planted (Jeannet) early spuds, got from Marshells, Don"t know anything about them, just planted one row. anyone planted them before? Always buy local but nobody had spuds in February to give me a chance to chit them.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them spuds googled them and no luck either, now im curious any more info or have you mispelled it.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Greegage, the name is Juliette.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never planted them myself. It's a French early maincrop, a "euro-salad"!
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks My Potatoes, Will post again with results
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loked them up look interesting do post results when you harvest as lots of people on here would be interested.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Greengage
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Potatoes Reply with quote

tunnelsofhens10 wrote:
...nobody had spuds in February to give me a chance to chit them.

I've noticed this with many garden centres. They only have seed potatoes during February and March. This gives little time to sprout the first earlies should you be planting them very early.

Last year I could not get any quality seed potatoes in May. A few years back I'd a huge crop from potatoes that I planted in mid-June.

I think it's because many garden centres in Ireland import the seed potatoes from the UK. As a result our sowing opportunity is being limited by UK climate, order times, shipping times, etc.

I've stumbled upon a few seed potato producers in Cork.
My advice is, if you're driving down a country road and you see a "Potatoes for Sale" sign, drop in. If they're not selling seed potatoes (as well as eaters), they'll be able to tell you who in the locality is.
Lius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try this, I read it on an old post.

Leave a couple of plants in the ground until they completely mature and form skin. Lift them in late summer/autumn and store in either completely dry peat or dry sand in a cool shed. Make sure you only keep clean, rot-free potatoes. Throw some hessian sacking over them on very frosty nights, ie if you think the frost might penetrate into the area where you have them, mind you that would need several degrees of frost to get into a shed and get through 5" or 6" dry peat/sand. Next spring sort through them and discard any with bad markings or a bit of rot on them, then just start the cycle again.
Qzy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lius wrote:
Why not try this, I read it on an old post.

Leave a couple of plants in the ground until they completely mature and form skin. Lift them in late summer/autumn and store in either completely dry peat or dry sand in a cool shed. Make sure you only keep clean, rot-free potatoes. Throw some hessian sacking over them on very frosty nights, ie if you think the frost might penetrate into the area where you have them, mind you that would need several degrees of frost to get into a shed and get through 5" or 6" dry peat/sand. Next spring sort through them and discard any with bad markings or a bit of rot on them, then just start the cycle again.

This is how I keep seed potatoes for the next year, works well for me
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Potatoes Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:

They only have seed potatoes during February and March.

I was in B&Q today. They've placed all their seed potatoes in clearance bins! We're only just past the equinox!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: