Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

Hstory of a container or window box

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Hstory of a container or window box Reply with quote

When you buy a window box or small container in a garden centre how long has it been planted and where has it been kept? Would have been planted then kept in a warm environment until it bloomed?

When I make one they sometimes seem to die off quick especially in rain. Should they be hardened first and for how long. If I wanted on end April when should i plant it
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has a little info here ill share,
These are suplied by nurseries direct to garden centres or sheds (Wooidies, BQ, etc ) they are usually planted up when ordered the same week not much profit in them, usually a dot plant Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest ( dump it after a year and dont plant it outside in garden as it is a monster in time) then a few beding plants are planted around the side maybe 4/5 or else a pot of Tet a Tet daffs as well now get the picture colourful, attractive, cheerful, cheap, the plants are then watered to settle in, then placed on a trolly for dispatch, watered again before dispact and wrapped in clingfilm,
Arivees in GC or shed placed on shelf for quick sale no maintaince there,
Before purchasing check the plants in the container give it a little tug if it comes up easy it has not been there long, The mix is usually straight peat with a little osmocote added (3/6 mts)
On the flip side With care andf attention these can be long lasting time, but require feeding, watering and dead heading, The customer who buys this product is not really into gardening and requires instant satisfaction. Lots of market research goes on in the background with this type of product,hope that helps you does not stop you from purchasing. A good container is usually expensive thats why they are mostly plastic.
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
As someone who has a little info here ill share,
These are suplied by nurseries direct to garden centres or sheds (Wooidies, BQ, etc ) they are usually planted up when ordered the same week not much profit in them, usually a dot plant Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest ( dump it after a year and dont plant it outside in garden as it is a monster in time) then a few beding plants are planted around the side maybe 4/5 or else a pot of Tet a Tet daffs as well now get the picture colourful, attractive, cheerful, cheap, the plants are then watered to settle in, then placed on a trolly for dispatch, watered again before dispact and wrapped in clingfilm,
Arivees in GC or shed placed on shelf for quick sale no maintaince there,
Before purchasing check the plants in the container give it a little tug if it comes up easy it has not been there long, The mix is usually straight peat with a little osmocote added (3/6 mts)
On the flip side With care andf attention these can be long lasting time, but require feeding, watering and dead heading, The customer who buys this product is not really into gardening and requires instant satisfaction. Lots of market research goes on in the background with this type of product,hope that helps you does not stop you from purchasing. A good container is usually expensive thats why they are mostly plastic.
I like the goldcrest and have one in my garden. Where am i going wrong when i buy singular primroses etc and then plant them in a container they do not seem to bloom as the ones that are premade

When they are on a trolley for despatch are they indoors giving them time to settle/get over shock?
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are grown indoors in climate controlled grenhouses. When put outside they rot and suffer from Botrytis, its the weather, they are often sold as Polyanthus which is a different plant altogether. most of what we buy in shops are cultivars an unless the weather is mild they just dont do well outside. try Polyanthus or bellis perennis, Pansys F1 or Violas.
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
They are grown indoors in climate controlled grenhouses. When put outside they rot and suffer from Botrytis, its the weather, they are often sold as Polyanthus which is a different plant altogether. most of what we buy in shops are cultivars an unless the weather is mild they just dont do well outside. try Polyanthus or bellis perennis, Pansys F1 or Violas.

Thanks any other suggestions. What i want to do is make my own container

Poly anthis is a form of primrose isn't it. F1 is a hybrid pansy?
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

member11809 wrote:
Greengage wrote:

Thanks any other suggestions. What i want to do is make my own container

Poly anthis is a form of primrose isn't it. F1 is a hybrid pansy?

Quote:
They are grown indoors in climate controlled grenhouses. When put outside they rot
that is a bit of a scam then selling them as if they can be planted in a container and will do as well
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'primula' word has been much abused in horticulture. Technically Primula is a genus of plants with many different species including our common primrose and cowslip and the Himalayan candelabra primulas that you sometimes see.
In your question I suspect that you are talking about the multicoloured polyanthus and primulas that you find in garden centres. There are two basic forms of these plants and the names used seem to vary between sellers. Polyanthus has a tall stem with the flowers at the top of it whilst a Primula will have it's flowers low down amongst the leaves in the manner of the primrose. Yes the F1 I mentioned is a pansy the usually are large flowered mostly blue, white and yellow or blotched I prefer yellow bloched myself .
As the the mention of it been a scam its not , Horticulture is a very large business employing lots of people throughout the country,not everyone is into planting and growing so ready made containers fill a nich in the market, the same goes for hanging baskets if you visit any owner run garden centre this is a welcome trade in early spring, also containers are grown for gifts such as mothers day, valantines day, easter and Grave Sundays. This will be my last post on this subject too much info.
For more on Primula V Polyanthus check here too long for me to explaiin in detail.
http://www.aboutflowers.org/thepolyanthus_xfh.htm
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it is a bit of a scam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: