Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Lidl Gardening Equipment.

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Lidl Gardening Equipment. Reply with quote

Firstly, I have no connection to Lidl, and am not trying to advertise them.

Lidl are having one of their "special offers" from tomorrow, and another from Sunday, with various gardening equipment. Just thought some posters would like to know.

I realise that Lidl and Aldi products can be a contentious issue.

Personally, I rate their tools and equipment like there food: 90% is junk but there can be value or use in the other 10%.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-15F70A3D-2DE54388/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=29484
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-15F70A3D-2DE54388/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=29594

I fancy the "Flexible Storage Tub" myself;
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I find that Aldi food is absolutely 100%. Also. all their own food products are labelled with allergen information; a thing which Tesco etc could well emulate.

They also work on a tighter margin of profit, which benefits the consumer and they pay their Irish suppliers 30 days on the button. I know of 2 Irish suppliers who are leaving Dunnes and moving to Aldi, because, although, they have a smaller margin, they have absolutely no hassle and are always paid on time.

To say that their food is 90% junk is totally wrong in my opinion. You should try your weekly shopping there one week just to see. You just have to see past the different branding and not be taken in by mass advertising.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Margo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
I disagree. I find that Aldi food is absolutely 100%. Also. all their own food products are labelled with allergen information; a thing which Tesco etc could well emulate.

They also work on a tighter margin of profit, which benefits the consumer and they pay their Irish suppliers 30 days on the button. I know of 2 Irish suppliers who are leaving Dunnes and moving to Aldi, because, although, they have a smaller margin, they have absolutely no hassle and are always paid on time.

To say that their food is 90% junk is totally wrong in my opinion. You should try your weekly shopping there one week just to see. You just have to see past the different branding and not be taken in by mass advertising.

Totally agree. I haven't had any problems with any of their stuff. Their fruit and veg is supreme and FRESH. The times I have bought fruit and veg in Tesco and its gone bad in a couple of days. PLUS its much cheaper than Tesco's. I have bought plants, fruit trees and garden tools amongst other things and have had no problem at all with them. Even Aldi is better than Tesco.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:

You should try your weekly shopping there one week just to see.

When Aldi opened within a mile of where I used to live I used to shop there once a week. This continued for about six months but after that time I changed course. There were some things I loved but after a while grew to dislike. They just lost their appeal. There are a few items that I still go in there for but that's it.

I had two Lidls within the same radius and my shopping patterns for Lidl were the same.

The only things I ever buy in Tesco are 'closed products', such as Corn Flakes or wine. Their fruit and veg would put anyone off their "five a day".

This is just my own opinion based on my own experience.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a gardening forum I know, but by coincidence, the Irish Times had a long article comparing the various supermarket chains this week:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/supermarket-sweep-a-shopping-challenge-1.1320739
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say, living in glasnevin, there is a great pull towards superquinn in finglas because the staff are so nice. for all of aldi and lidl's benefits for being cheap, you never feel particularly welcome there.
richrua
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record i don't work there...

I have bought seeds compost and tools at lidl . all fine. compost is better quality, finer than a lot.

seeds are grand and a grand price. grew unusual yellow French beans from lidl last year.

About eight years ago i got a rake with wooden handle at lidl. still fine and used v often too.

lidl is grand but their tools aren't as affordable as they once were. pretty sure i paid 4 for the rake.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: