Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Garden to visit

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Garden to visit Reply with quote

Oakfield Park, near Raphoe in Co Donegal is a jewell well worth seeing (oakfieldpark.com). It's a huge private garden with veg, formal gardens, woodland, parkland, restored wetland and a steam railway. In standard, it equals National Trust gardens I've seen in the UK.
maigheomac
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this information, will definitely try to check it out the next time I am up in the hills
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you, maigheomac, you won't be disappointed.
For anyone thinking of visiting beautiful Donegal (wonderful scenery, great food, excellent music, golden eagles, Errigal Arts Festival, brilliant people.........) I recommend the Donegal Garden Trail donegalgardentrail.com. This year's edition gives details of 21 to visit, across the county.
And no, I don't work in tourism. This is not a spam, I just appreciate where I live.
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy, did you visit this garden yourself? And also do you have any pictures of your visit that you can share with us?
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid my photos of Oakfieldpark Park disappeared along with my camera when my suitcase got nicked in Sants station, Barcelona. But there are lots of excellent photos on the website: www.oakfieldpark.com.
www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie also has good pictures though their photo gallery is under construction. www.donegalgardentrail.com has pics of the gardens listed.
I try to get to Oakfield Park every year to see how they are developing it - it's only a few miles from me. I have taken family and friends, too.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Garden visits Reply with quote

This is Magherwarden Strand on Lough Swilly, looking towards the village of Portsalon with the North Atlantic beyond. If you look very carefully, you can see people at the water's edge of the nearest beach. This is one of the many magnificent beaches you can visit while visiting our gardens.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  984.04 KB
 Viewed:  4221 Time(s)

image.jpg

sgmgarden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling Good guy. I was at Barcelona Sants Station 3 weeks ago and I have never felt so worried before. I had a tight grip on all of my belongings but still felt as though someone was watching and ready to take it all. Thanks for providing the link for the website for me, I will take a look Smile
Bob Skunkhouse

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with your opinion on Oakfield, and Glenveagh is always fantastic no matter which time of the year it is, but I'm surprised no one ever mentions Ards Forest park - 2 or 3KM beyond Creeslough. Over 15km of forest/marine walks taking in all kinds of flora and fauna. On a clear sunny day the beaches look spectacular and the view coming back from the beach with Muckish in the background is one you wont forget in a hurry. A spin into the monastery for a spot of tea is worth a trip too.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean forgot about Ards! One of my favourite places, too. A good walk is to follow the shore round from the priory. Eventually you reach the end of the promontory and a beautiful wee beach with views across Sheephaven to Downings and Rosguil - usually you will have it to yourself. You can walk on as far as the forest park from there.
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about Ards: the woods are carpeted with bluebells and wild garlic right now; a wonderful sight/smell. And there are lots of fungi in autumn.
I had my closest ever encounter with wild deer at Ards some years ago. We were only ten or fifteen yards apart when we startled each other. I was rooted to the spot and the deer literally high-tailed it. Brilliant.
There is an Evening Chorus Walk at the forest park this Saturday, at 8.30pm, courtesy of Birdwatch Ireland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: