Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

When is the best time to fertilize

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: When is the best time to fertilize Reply with quote

Have nearly an acre of maybe what could not be described as lush green lawn, but is good enough for my requirments.
My assumption is that, in and around now may be a good time to fertilize with 7-6-17. What I am trying to do is give it a good old feed and maybe in return for my effort, get a nice bit of greeness and healthier looking grass. Any tips as to a better fertiliser , maybe a good time to spread and suitable prevaling conditions. Wink

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: When is the best time to fertilize Reply with quote

AJ, from the middle of March is the time to start your lawn mowing proper for the year.
Try to carry out your first cut on a day when the grass is dry, to ensure a clean cut without clogging your mower. Set the mower at a cutting height of 1.5 inches (3.75 cm), your mower service book should make clear at what notch to set you wheels to achieve this height.
Lost the booklet, well then just set the mower to remove the top half an inch of grass. You will gradually lower the cut to 1 inch (2.5 cm) over subsequent cuts.

I'd leave feeding till around the end of March.
If you are dealing with a very large lawn then you might opt for one of the more economical agricultural fertilisers available from large hardware stores and farmers co-ops. In such a situation a light and even application of 18:6:12 agricultural fertiliser would give your lawn a quick acting boost. A light application should be no more than 10 grammes to the square metre.

If in doubt, err on the side of applying too little, rather than too much. These "artificial" fertilisers are essentially salts, so there is a real danger of scorching the lawn with heavy handedness. Easy does it......... otherwise opt for the watered down garden centre variety.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
AJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James,

Glad I asked, was going to do it this weekend. One question though, would I not want to use a lower N number. Isn't the N number that causes leaf growth. Want to keep that down if possible, or can I not have healthy looking green without it.

sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best time to fertilise your lawn is throughout spring. This is when grass plants grow at fast speed and they need to get the right nutrients in order to grow and become strong and healthy/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: