Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Growing magnolia

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Growing magnolia Reply with quote

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_25955.htm

I was thinking of buying one of above. I have heard though that magnolia is difficult to grow? Any info appreciated including if one of the above three is easier than the others to grow
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Magnolia, which I planted 3 years ago and it's romping away. It's a yellow flowered variety. I can tell you the variety this evening if you like.

They prefer more acidic soil so I made up my soil in a corner of the garden. I put in 1 part of yellow clay, 1 part of very old horse manure and 1 part of sand. (I didn't have any proper soil in that section after the JCB left; just a hole in the ground) It has seemed to work because the soil is constantly damp yet never waterlogged. The Magnolia's risen in height from 18" to 9' in three years.

The flowers don't last long, though. I like mine for the purplish hue on the large leaves.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
member11809

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
I've a Magnolia, which I planted 3 years ago and it's romping away. It's a yellow flowered variety. I can tell you the variety this evening if you like.

They prefer more acidic soil so I made up my soil in a corner of the garden. I put in 1 part of yellow clay, 1 part of very old horse manure and 1 part of sand. (I didn't have any proper soil in that section after the JCB left; just a hole in the ground) It has seemed to work because the soil is constantly damp yet never waterlogged. The Magnolia's risen in height from 18" to 9' in three years.

The flowers don't last long, though. I like mine for the purplish hue on the large leaves.
Please do tell variety. Thanks
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of them are nice plants, but where have they come from how long are they in storage, have they been in a container for weks without light, were they watered recently, are they in pots or bare rooted do not but bare rooted as they will not survive, @9 they are very cheap buyer beware. are they only just liners too many questions, I always a bit sceptical of these guys flogging off plants cheap watch for later in month when they get in herbaceous plants and how limp they will be, their spades and forks look silly and non functional
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="member11809]Please do tell variety. Thanks[/quote]

Magnolia Goldstar.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
member11809

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
[quote="member11809]Please do tell variety. Thanks

Magnolia Goldstar.[/quote]Cheers thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: