Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Suitable Native Hedge for exposed site Donegal

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Gary1983
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Suitable Native Hedge for exposed site Donegal Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post I set a Leylandii hedge around my site boundary 4 years ago it has not thrived at all and I dug them all out last week , the soil is cold wet very heavy with a blue clay base after about a foot , the soil would have poor enough drainage but my biggest problem seemed to be the wind, I am thinking along the lines of a double row of whitethorn hedge has anyone any suggestions I have a very large site and I want to split it into small gardens and need to find the ideal hedge preferable formal that will grow in the wilds of Donegal, have tried some escallonia but wind blew it to bits and bad winters destroyed the rest, was thinking aslo about willows?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated this is a fantastic site. Thanks,
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other trees are growing around you? I'd copy ones that are growing with neighbours if the site is that difficult.

No tree will grow properly in a constant wind. Wet clayey soil suggests Willows and Alder. If Leylandi and Escallonia didn't make it, then it's going to be a hard one to solve.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Gary1983

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, there are hawthorn alder and willow growing very well around me , do you know how Whitethorn hedges would grow in average soil conditions there are no rushes in the lawn
Gary1983

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the escallonia did grow but a severe storm wrecked them
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitethorn grows better on a bank.
Willow likes damp.
Alder likes soggy.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Gary1983

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, have thought about willow but not sure how they will look around the house liked the idea of the white flower on the Whitethorn
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Hedging your bets in Donegal. Reply with quote

I wonder if you are in a coastal location? If so, sea buckthorn, fuscia, tamarisk should do well anywhere on the Donegal coast and rosa rugosa is tough as old boots anywhere. In any case, Donegal winds being what they are, I would advise planting young specimens that will acclimatise, providing some temporary shelter might help (that plastic mesh looks awful, but it works). I would go for a mixture of plants - that way you will more easily find out what works for your site. I know you want native species and understand your point, but to get started, use whatever works. In any case, many of the insects and birds aren't too fussy about provenance - they just want something to eat.
Most plants that are likely to do well will appreciate decent drainage, so seriously consider digging a shallow ditch and growing on the resulting bank.
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.
Gary1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Good Guy thanks for the repsonse I visited a local garden centre today have to say got excellent advise took pictures of the site to show them and they have recommended a whitethorn mixed with some berberis guilder rose dog woods and coleaster i think it was called, and they also thought horn beam for another location in the garden would be worth a try all of these they said could tolerate some damp conditions i probably overstated the wetness of the garden in my previous post , I am not near a coastal area I am inland but very exposed when the wind blows from the north , im going to give it atry anyway as im not keen on the leylandii.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: