Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

DIY polytunnel hoops?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
3759allen
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: DIY polytunnel hoops? Reply with quote

Hi all.

i'm new to the forum, everyone seems very helpful from what i've read so far on here.so i'm looking for an answer or some experienced knowledge on thickness of material for the hoops of a poly tunnel?

i've read many peoples ideas on DIY poly tunnels and the easiest way to me seems to be the mdpe poly pipe and scaffold pole set up. most of the posts i've read have said about using 63mm pipe over the scaffold tubes. after doing a bit of pricing up and realising how expensive the 63mm pipe is, i'm wondering if there's any reason why i couldn't use 32mm pipe inside the scaffold?

the tunnel will be fairly sheltered from the wind anyway, and not out in the open.

i was thinking of shortening the spacing between hoops to gain extra strength (3-4 ft spacings).

i would be very interested in anyones views, theories, experience in the matter.

thanks in advance.
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi its simply strenght, wouldnt recommend 32 mm pipe and pressure of tightness of plastic cover in wind, stick to 63mm it will last. 32mm wont
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it would be better to buy a polytunel than making it, I know there is great satisfaction in making your own but a properly constructed one will last a lifetime.
Good luck if you continue to build so please post a pic. I recently constructed a chicken coop, I was quoted 250 for a ready made one, but being clever I reckon I could build cheaper, 3 months later its constructed and I wont tell you how much it cost state secret would have been better purchasing the other.but I would have had eggs and baby chicks by now.
Darwin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get pipes from people with mushroom tunnels very cheaply that would be perfect.
davidk
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin. wrote:
You can get pipes from people with mushroom tunnels very cheaply that would be perfect.

Do these people normally stock pipe or are we talking about a tunnel they are taking down. There is a mushroom farm not far from me.
Darwin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, I know after I put mine up everybody told me that's what I should've done. You should give them a shout and see if they have any, you've got nothing to lose.
davidk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin. wrote:
Not sure, I know after I put mine up everybody told me that's what I should've done. You should give them a shout and see if they have any, you've got nothing to lose.

Will do. Ta
3759allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got itchy fingers and decided to get on with the project before you guys replied.

i did use 32mm pipe in the end. yes it did work and no it didn't.

i will be putting a full report with photo's for others to take any good ideas i had, and to avoid the mistakes i made.

i would agree with the fact that if i had to buy all the materials it would be roughly the same price as buying a proper one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: