Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

coating for pruned branches ?

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
honeybunny
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: coating for pruned branches ? Reply with quote

i was just wondering but ye'know after you've pruned off thick-ish branches is their anything beneficial to put on the cuts ? something that'd perhaps speed up healing or prevent infection?

if your wondering why im up so late...i've no idea, my brain just doesn't want to sleep tonight...nor work apparently as i cant for the life of me think of a half decent heading Rolling Eyes
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young, they used to put tar on them but I've never bothered putting anything on large cuts. The trees seem to have managed quite fine without.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave alone,trees cannot heal damaged tissue. Instead they wall off damaged areas from healthy areas through a process known as compartmentalization, this is their defense mechanism. The damaged tissue (decay) will remain isolated within the tree for life. Evidence of this is seen when a felled tree is examined.
Tree wound paint does not prevent rot and in some cases promotes it by sealing in moisture. Do not paint wounds or pruning cuts.Also remember Flush cuts destroy the tree cells that seal off the wound from the healthy part of the tree. Pruning cuts should be made on the outside of the branch collar. The branch collarcan be identified by a raised ring of bark that is formed when trunk and branch bark meet and push up slightly.
https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=677&q=branch+collar+definition&oq=branch+collar&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24l3.964.4842.0.8325.13.11.0.2.2.0.74.587.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.3.img.R3OGlktJGLo#imgrc=z2Kd45CzZUmmeM%3A%3BgvEJUz5Sr2AbkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftreecarepruningandplanting.com%252Fimages-pruning%252F19Branch-collar-wrinkles.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftreecarepruningandplanting.com%252Fbranch-collar.htm%3B299%3B208
Read anything by Carl Shigo on tree maintenance.
honeybunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, i shall leave well alone so.

two reason i asked is

1 is cos we've finally cut down our Eucalyptus tree (which you may remember i got advice on last year) well it left us no choice in the end, it was being bet around so much in the wind i thought one evening i'd best tie it to the fence to secure it!.....clever me ey!....well.....next morning it was still being bet around by the wind only this time it had the bloody fence blowing around with it! fence was still tied to it only the fence was no longer attached to the ground! so our lovely Eucalyptus tree is now a sad stump about three foot high, fingers & toes are firmly crossed it resprouts though.

2) is i've just pruned my Smoke Bush (Cotinus). last summer i took out a few branches that were getting in the way and my goodness did it absolutely ooze thick sticky sap for ages afterwards! and then the cut area went white! not sure what that was all about tbh? so this year i thought it'd be a good idea to get the pruning done now before the sap starts rising Rolling Eyes

pity there's nought i could put on them...if nothing else it may have eased my conscience lol Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: