Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Seeds To Die For

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JohnI
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Seeds To Die For Reply with quote

Another reason that GMO products, grain, vegetables, and livestock fed on GMO feeds are even better than your Mother's finest home cooking . . .

No, they really are. Honest.

Here's an interesting article about just another little tiny thing Monsanto et al forgot to mention, because it is obviously perfectly safe and healthy. Don't want to bother the layman's little head with all this exoteric scientific junk, do we now ? ? ? ?

It begins:

"Yet another disturbing reason has emerged as to why you should be avoiding health-devastating genetically modified organisms, and it may be one of the most concerning yet. We know that GMO consumption has been linked to a host of serious conditions, but one thing we are not so sure about is the recent discovery of a hidden viral gene deep within genetically modified crops.

For years, GMOs have been consumed knowingly and unknowingly around the globe, with Monsanto and the United States government claiming that the altered franken crops are perfectly safe despite very limited (or virtually none in some cases) initial testing and scientists speaking out against the dangers. One such danger that has actually not been spoken about has been revealed in a recent report by a safety watchdog group known as the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)."

Read it and draw your own conclusions . . . the links to other studies are well worth following also.

http://www.nationofchange.org/safety-group-blows-lid-secret-virus-h...

I am so looking forward to my first steaming plateful of machine grown, petrochemically fertilised, Roundup infused genetically modified organisms.

Aren't you?

Regards,

John

GMO Poison II.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.81 KB
 Viewed:  4336 Time(s)

GMO Poison II.jpg

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeds To Die For Reply with quote

JohnI wrote:
I am so looking forward to my first steaming plateful of machine grown, petrochemically fertilised, Roundup infused genetically modified organisms.

whatever you might think about roundup, i've yet to hear an iota of evidence that our food is 'infused' with it. my objections to its use do not lie in nutritional issues. and most of our food is aready petrochemically fertilised anyway. and GMOs should not be queried on nutritional grounds (IMO), but on grounds of interaction with the wider environment.
JohnI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Roundup and GMO's: A Study Reply with quote

"Food" for thought . . . peer reviewed, no less.

http://permaculturenews.org/2012/09/21/first-ever-long-term-study-of-monsantos-roundup-and-roundup-resistant-maize-brings-shocking-results/

And as long as I'm at it, a couple of articles on just how well the Roundup/2-4 D(Agent Orange; remember the Vietnam war?) initiative of Dow Chemical and Monsanto is going.

You'll find them here:

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2012/01/dows-new-gmo-seed-puts-us-agriculture-crossroads

http://www.organicauthority.com/blog/organic/the-return-of-agent-orange-24-d-steps-in-where-monsantos-roundup-fails/

Last but not least, here is a list of diseases associated with exposure to Agent Orange (2-4 D) as published by the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs - after denying it for thirty years. "Roundup" is the civilian name that Agent Orange is marketed under.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/diseases.asp

Almost forgot . . . infertility and spontaneous abortion in livestock, too:

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/huber-warns-eu-president-of-glyphosate-danger-to-livestock-and-plants/

Regards,

John
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great we have access to all this info but its the info that we do have and accept as gospel but thats a "Horse of a Different Colour"
michael brenock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 2 4 5 T was agent orange. 2 4 D was used as a lawn weedkiller. Maybe I have been duped.
michael brenock horticultural adviser (retired)

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Michael if you felt duped what hope is there for the rest of us...... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
michael brenock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked it out again and yes 2 4 5 T was named agent orange, a defoliant and 2 4 D was included with it. However 2 4 d is one of the most widely used herbicides still in use and "approved". Telling half truths is not serving any purpose.
michael brenock

JohnI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
I have checked it out again and yes 2 4 5 T was named agent orange, a defoliant and 2 4 D was included with it. However 2 4 d is one of the most widely used herbicides still in use and "approved". Telling half truths is not serving any purpose.
michael brenock

Specifically, it was a 1:1 mix of 2 4 5 T and 2 4 D. As the USA at that time was just discovering the deadly and long lasting effects of dioxin contamination on both wildlife and humans (dioxin is an ingredient of 2 4 5 T as a byproduct of the manufacturing process) from industrial dumping in urban and suburban areas, and as there was intense media coverage and scrutiny of the issue, Monsanto put 100% 2 4 D out on the consumer market as an all-purpose defoliant/weedkiller. They knew they couldn't get away with the Vietnam mix because of the dioxiin issue.

Some specifics:

"Agent Orange A herbicide containing trace amounts of the
toxic contaminant dioxin that was used in the Vietnam War
to defoliate areas of jungle growth. The name was derived
from the orange identifying strip on drums in which it was
stored. Agent Orange was a 1:1 mixture of the n-butyl
esters of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and 2,4,5-
trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4,5-T). A byproduct
contaminant of the manufacturing process for 2,4,5-T is
2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin (TCDD), commonly
referred to as dioxin. Demand for military Agent Orange
resulted in higher levels of dioxin contamination than in
the 2,4,5-T produced for civilian applications.
Different types of Agent orange are
Description TCDD (Dioxin) Foliage Use
Agent Orange 1.77 to 40 ppm Broad Leaf
Agent Blue (Purple) 32.8 to 45 ppm Narrow Leaf
Agent Red (Pink) 65.6 ppm Anything
Agent White (Green) 65.6 ppm Broad Leaf
Silvex 1 to 70 ppm Fungicide
2,4,5-T (Current) 0.1 ppm or less Broad Leaf ."

And, at that time, it was colloquially referred to as "civilian agent orange". I ought to know, because I was in America during those times and as an agricultural worker we used and were exposed to plenty of it. I was a lot younger and more gullible then.

I hope this serves to clarify matters somewhat.

regards,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: