Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Low Allergy Trees

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AtomicOrbital
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Low Allergy Trees Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've read http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about775.html which helps understand how to create a low allergy environment. I get the gist of it. Thanks for the info, and I've been looking at Thomas Ogren's book.

However, I'm hoping a few knowledgeable people might be able to short cut me to an answer.

My wife and kids all suffer from hay fever style allergies. I know we live in the country side and it's almost impossible to avoid. I know grass is a big part of it. I'm also slowly reading up on a large number of plants and trees to understand if we can make any helpful changes in the garden.

I have a large empty exposed windy pH-neutral-but-heavy-clay damp site of an acre and this past 4 years each spring I've failed to get practically any trees into the ground. This year I'd like to by 100 to 200 whips to plant (90c each approx) to get things started. I'm also putting in about 200 red dogwood as a backdrop. (I plan to fine tune it later when I have some natural screening and hope then other plants will survive better).

However, I've asked in both our local garden centres and they can't order specifically female trees. Nor could they recommend low allergy trees, due to never having been asked the question before. I really want to get some wind breaking trees going.

The Questions: Can anyone recommend any country side friendly trees that will have the least impact on pollen allergies?? I have to plant something and need to order it in the next week or so to get it at best price.

Cheers all.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this list from the Pollen free yard. most are available except (Diospyros virginiana) (Lagerstroemia indica) but someone will tell me where they are available. Check out the plantfinder for suppliers.
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/pollen-free-yard-trouble-free-trees.html
AtomicOrbital

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greengage. Probably a safe list. I've gone through the list via google image search, none seem to be the kind to blend in in an Irish country side. I have apple, pear, holly and dogwood in already. Just going to have to take a chance I think. Poplar's too big and the rest are very showy (with a LOT of pink).

Maybe a low pollen Irish (native) tree doesn't exist?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should get a copy of Thomas Ogren, author of Safe Sex in the Garden and Other Propositions for an Allergy-Free World ,
Available from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-5244303-5566717?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Safe+Sex+in+the+Garden+and+Other+Propositions+for+an+Allergy-Free+World+%2C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: