Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Roundup

Most Recent Posts conifer roots
Last post: sal
colourful hedging
Last post: kindredspirit
Planning the garden jobs month by month - JUNE
Last post: Sue Deacon
Leaves dropping off of holiies
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Roundup Reply with quote

Morning folks, I"ve just come in from the rice paddy, At least, thats what my garden looks like!. Just a quick question, I have been generous to my garden with compost and well rotted manure over the past years and it has repaid me with excellent Veg, and, an ever increasing carpet of chickweed and various grasses,stingers, nettles, and a pair of ladies runners! I kid you not, Back to the question, I have to spray!!! I"M gone to old to beat them! Can I spray in Jan or Feb? Will it do the job or am I to early? (Were going to have a heatwave this year, and I"M going to win the lotto, and YOUR going to win the lotto!) Jeeze,!.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here will differ as to wheather you should spray or not,,,,,,,, So to answer your question Yes you can spray with roundup anytime of the year its not frezing and not too windy. If applied properly it works all year round although may be slower in winter early spring to kill, But with roundup when its dead its dead.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greengage, I don"t like doing it, but when your staring at the 70 mark, a fella needs a little help. IF! we ever get a dry and calm day those buggers are going down. any idea when its safe to plant, (Early Spuds ect) after treatment? Thanks again.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your only problem is chickweed and nettles once the garden is dug over and you plant spuds the shade from the potatoes will kill off the weeds. If you are planting a lawn it is a good idea to plant spuds first as they clear the ground.
Anyway the question, Roundup works by translocation ie the chemical is absorbed by the leaves and translocated down to the roots where it kills the plant. It says on the label that you can replant a few days after using it, I WOULD NOT PLANT ANYTHING IM GOING TO EAT IN GROUND THAT I APPLIED ROUNDUP TO.
If you are using roundup make sure it has not a pre emergent herbicides that prevent regrowth. Check out other sites on line such as http://www.ehow.com/way_5832526_soon-replant-after-using-roundup_.html for more info.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze Greengage, I surrender! That site done it for me. I shall be thinking fond thoughts of you as I sally forth with my grape and wheelbarrow, (Spuds are a small part of my garden) Anyway, if truth be told, I probable needed someone to kick me up the A--- and stop me from doing something I never done before, (I think?) Thanks Greengage, you"ll hear no more from me on that subject!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: