Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Planting a Laurel Hedge in N/E facing sleeper

Most Recent Posts re potato spraying
Last post: mange tout
Oak leaf blighted??
Last post: David Austin Roses lover
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
How are your tomatoes doing? 2017
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Planting a Laurel Hedge in N/E facing sleeper Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I'm looking at planting a laurel hedge in a sleeper along a N/E wall that I want to cover. The length of the wall is 17 - 18ft long and the wall is about 3 metres high, a very high, unplastered gray wall, not pretty at all.
I had originally thought of ivy as I want complete coverage eventually but now I'm thinking a hedge might be better and more bird friendly. I can get some nice potted laurel at 2 a plant but I'd like a little advice.

I'm planting in a sleeper as I want year-round evergreen planting there as there will be a tree and some deciduous planting and bulbs in front (just a few feet makes a big difference on light in this particular site as I'm working around a shed here). I'm wondering if the laurel will be very demanding on the soil to the detriment of competing plants? Also, considering they'll be longterm plants, is it silly to plant them in sleepers? I'd planned on having the sleeper running the length of the wall and planting space for 10 or 11 laurels at about a metre from the wall depth for them. The wall doesn't get much sun but its not shaded by buildings. Whatever goes there needs to be tall and evergreen and relatively little work, pruning couple times a year or so.

I'm still on a learning curve here with my gardening so, as always, any advice or help is greatly appreciated,
Sunflower
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sunflower! By sleeper, I assume you mean a raised bed? How high and deep will it be? If it based on soil, laurel will do fine. If it is on hard standing, the plants will very quickly run out of nutrients. They are hungry, and you'll be pruning them, therefore turning soil fertility into garden waste. I would not plant them any closer than 3' apart in any case: they are big plants, so that spacing means each plant only has 18" to grow until it touches its neighbour. You can always feed them to accelerate growth.
Sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tippben,

thanks for the reply. its a new area we've (almost) cleared where a large shed was. we're putting topsoil in right to the wall and the sleepers will be set in those.
Will I have enough space for a laurel hedge of 6 plants in a 17ft by 3ft space, can always bring the sleepers out from the wall another foot or so?
Also, being hungry plants, I wanted to plant in front of the sleeper too, will the laurel roots eat much into this space?

Thanks again for your reply - i bought 10 plants today, but have other places the spare ones can go...

Sunflower
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunflower, is the bed on soil, or concrete? If it's on soil, you'll be fine with that many plants, and no worries about planting in front. If it isn't, think again. Your laurels will last a few years, but get leggy and yellow. You'll have to replace the exhausted soil and start again. If that's the case, try Lauris nobilis (Bay) which can cope with such conditions happily. You can plant in between as the hedge is growing, but eventually the laurel will out compete the other plants.
Sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry tippben, not clear on last post - the sleeper will be on soil so I should be fine.

thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: