Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

Phalanopsis orchid tips?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Phalanopsis orchid tips? Reply with quote

I want to buy one of these for my wife as an xmas prezzie. We have a warmish living room with an east facing window. I know that they like little water and feed, and don't need a lot of light, but has anyone got any more advice?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more blooms they have the more expensive they are, If you can buy one with not all the flowers open. I keep mine in a window no heat an it thrives on neglect, When the flowers fade cut off the flower spike feed with tomatoe food and water, then spray occasionally especially the small rooots that protrude from the pot (They are not roots I cant think of their name at the moment)
In their native habitat they are epiphytic plants in that they grow on trees and have no roots as we know them. Keep tightly pot bound and it will flower again.
I was thinking of buying the wife a small car trailer to help her bringing the turf home maybe if I threw one of these in it might give her something to look foreward too when she gets in before cooking the dinner what do you think.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might get sputum in your dinner :) Still, get her the plant anyway!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having a rethink maybe a bird table ive a couple of pieces of 2x1 i could knock something up quick, Maybe one of those silver bins for the ashes she complains theres a hole in the one we have (I told her not to put hot ashes in it)
Last year I got a wormery and she let them escape, You know when I think about it seriously the Auld orchid might not be a bad idea flowers something exotic etc looks like it will tick the right boxes fair play thanks for that if you have a better idea let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: