Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

To rake or not to rake........that is my question

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs
Who's growing what ???
Last post: Sneachta
Gardening Books
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
avs0020
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: To rake or not to rake........that is my question Reply with quote

Hi folks. Not sure where to post this query. My question relates to the clearing of autumn leaves. Some experts say leave them as mulch and protection from frost. Others say its a source of disease.

Is the dispute related to the area. Obviously I'll rake up the leaves on the path but is it ok to leave in the shrubbery and rose beds?

I've also been told to put th eleaves in black bags and let them rot down and eventually add it to the compost. Is this ok if there is an argument that its a source of disease.

Appreciate any advice on the best use for fallen leaves.

Thanks
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your leaves will make lovely leaf mould, so put them into black bags, and make some holes in the bags. Pop them somewhere out of sight for a year.
Monty Don on tonight's gardener's world on BBC also suggested sweeping leaves under your hedges where they will give cover to insects and small mammals over the winter.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what harm leaving them in the shrubbery and your rose beds will do. The worms will eventually pull them underground and condition the soil.

I'm finding that the best mulch of all for suppressing weeds is leaf mould. Better than bark chips. I use a builders' one ton bag, stuff all the leaves into it, poss them all down and when they congeal, you have a lovely mulch. You'd have to leave leaves a long while to get decent compost. They're a little bit slow in changing themselves into compost but eventually they do.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: To rake or not to rake........that is my question Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi folks. Not sure where to post this query. My question relates to the clearing of autumn leaves. Some experts say leave them as mulch and protection from frost. Others say its a source of disease.

is it ok to leave in the shrubbery and rose beds?

I've also been told to put th eleaves in black bags and let them rot down and eventually add it to the compost. Is this ok if there is an argument that its a source of disease.

Appreciate any advice on the best use for fallen leaves.

Thanks

Everybody seems to be on the same page here regarding the uses of leaves
avs0020.
I have black bagged leaves and blown leave into the base of hedges for years without any disease setbacks.

I will say however that it is important to rake up the withered rose leaves and petals that litter your beds and borders, as these can act as a breeding ground for the blackspot fungus.
Disposal by burning is preferred.

Here is an article I wrote on the whole autumn/winter leaf subject a while back........ Fiery Autumn leaves, admire them, collect them and bag them.
I hope it helps.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
avs0020

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from you all, Thanks so much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: