Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Pruning native hedge-crab apple, holly etc.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mongolianyurt
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Pruning native hedge-crab apple, holly etc. Reply with quote

Hi I've been looking through the posts about pruning a native hedge but I'm still not sure how or if I should be pruning all of the plants in the hedge.

We put down about 150m of it in March of this year.

Could anyone advise on the following please? Smile

Crab apple - do I prune this and how?
Spindle - bottom leaves have been eaten so long thin stick like with leaves at top. should I leave it alone or take some off the top?
Holly - its fairly small and stick like...do I prune this?
The rest is dog rose, beech, hawthorn, blackthorn which I read is to prune off a half of all 'new' growth?

Also I have some birch trees we're leaving grow into trees at different points along the hedge...do I leave these alone and they don't need to be pruned?

We stupidly didnt put down any material to stop weed growth under one part of the hedge. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent weed growth...is the only option to roundup and then the black stuff with manure/mulch on top??
Thanks in advance for your help!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An awful lot depends on what your trying to achieve, are you looking at a laid hedgerow or something natural. regards the membrane to prevent weed growth if you want a native hedgerow do you not also want the natural under-story planting as well.
mongolianyurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'd like it to be natural but it also needs to be a wind shelter and screen of neighbours. So any tips would be great for pruning. Not sure what you mean by laid hedgerow.

I only want to keep down grass and docks as they're smothering the smaller whips and afraid they won't grow. I'll leave understory take off then when they're big and strong!
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crab apple - do I prune this and how? (No dont bother let it grow naturally)
Spindle - bottom leaves have been eaten so long thin stick like with leaves at top. should I leave it alone or take some off the top? (Leave alone its spindlly by nature nice in Autumn when it fruits)
Holly - its fairly small and stick like...do I prune this? (Let it grow to the heught you want then prune back to thicken.
The rest is dog rose (leave alone unless it gets out of hand), beech, hawthorn, blackthorn( Prune back to thicken bottom and avoid bottle brush top, these should have been cut back to approx 4 inches after planting to encourage bushiness depending how tall they are if there a meter cut back by 3/4 to improve bushiness but not the beech let it grow to the height you want it.then cut once per year in late summer.) which I read is to prune off a half of all 'new' growth?

Also I have some birch trees we're leaving grow into trees at different points along the hedge..(Leave alone).do I leave these alone and they don't need to be pruned?

With the exception of Hawthorn and Blackthorn the rest will not give you a stockproof hedge or privacey from neighbours, I would plant 60/30 Hawthorn and Blackthorn with the rest used as fillers depending on how long the hedge was. Be careful with blackthorn as it suckers and if not controled wit will wander out into the garden.
Have a look here to see what a laid hedge looks like. https://www.google.com/search?q=laid+hedge&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G0yVUJfUIZKxhAfWlIEg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677
Check out iriish hedgelaying association for more info http://www.hedgelaying.ie/
Hope this helps.
mongolianyurt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greengage for that. Really helpful Smile

Just one more thing, we planted a second hedge of beech there in March. We didnt prune it at all...should I take it back a bit this Winter? Thank you.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No allow it to grow to the height you want it then prune it back a foot lower this allows the top to thicken out, also prune it with a batter or slope wider at the bottom narrower at the top allows light to lower branches, and remember these are beech trees which you will keep in a juvenile state by pruning every year if you dont the will grow to very big trees kept in a juvenile state the will retain their leaves over winter if high winds dont decimate them, the leaves will retain a copper colour thats why some people refer to them a s copper beech, which is a different tree altogether.
mongolianyurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, great advice Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: