Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Eucalyptus hedging/tree

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tlove
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Eucalyptus hedging/tree Reply with quote

Hi, can any one advise if this would work? I have a smallish urban garden. Would like privacy to rear but save space. If I let eucalyptus grow can I trim back the lower branchs so that I can walk around them? Ie, trunks for first 6 feet off ground and screening then for another 10 feet. South facing 6 foot wall behind them.
T.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you plan to keep them trimmed at 16 ft high. Any eucalyptus trees I've seen grow enormous. One garden commentator on the radio likened them to plastic trees, as they are totally alien to our latitudes and have no wildlife value whatsoever.
And what is behind this south-facing wall...? Will you be casting some other person's garden/house into total shade with a 16ft high( or higher ) evergreen "screen" ? Not very kind !

How about betula (birch)...there are some lovely varieties that grow no taller than you need.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eucalyptus hedging/tree Reply with quote

tlove wrote:
Hi, can any one advise if this would work? I have a smallish urban garden. Would like privacy to rear but save space. If I let eucalyptus grow can I trim back the lower branchs so that I can walk around them? Ie, trunks for first 6 feet off ground and screening then for another 10 feet. South facing 6 foot wall behind them.
T.

Why did you choose a Eucalyptus it's most certainly not the ideal choice for your average sized Garden, like Sive said they grow to a huge size and are hard to limit to 16ft unless your the owner of a Cherry-Picker.
There are several ways to screen your Garden and the end result would be much nicer and more pleasing to everyones eye including your Neighbours.
What sort of Bounderies surround your Garden, how wide is the area you want screened let us know and I'm positive we can fulfill your needs with several suggestions.
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is talk of heavy frost coming in the next two weeks, and that should be enough to convience you not to plant Eucalyptus

better options would include: hornbeam or lime.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's suppose to be very cold today in the N/W but it's very mild at the moment with drizzling rain earlier on but now the Clouds are brightening and looking better.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not grow a pleached hedge, Beech, Hornbeam or red twigged lime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: