Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

How to prevent another deep freeze killing hedges

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
phelim_d
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: How to prevent another deep freeze killing hedges Reply with quote

Hi yiz
If we get temperatures < -10 this winter like 09/10 etc, does anyone know of a way to keep hedges alive that usually get killed by these temperatures?

Covering them for the 10 days (assuming the cold snap is 10 days) with black polythene any good?
Having a fire/outdoors stove lit beside them at night?
Have a hot water pipe circulate near the roots?

Has anyone any simple effective tips?

Thanks!
PD

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of hedge? How established is it? If the roots freeze as a result of extreme low temperatures, and the soil ends up completely solid, no polythene is going to help much.
phelim_d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tippben,
I was thinking in general for everyone _ but for my specific case- griselinia- they withered after Jan 2010...

Cheers
P

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think it is better to work with nature than against. You either take a gamble and assume our Big Freeze of 2010-2011 was a once in your lifetime event and proceed accordingly, or you simply plant a hedge that will survive low temperatures.
phelim_d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the ultimate advice, Sive. Following that logic I should now go out and dig up the 6ft high grisilenia and put laurels in! Aaaagggh. Damned logic! Smile
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phelim....I just wasn't sure whether you were referring to a new or existing hedge...and indeed what length/size of hedge either. However, if you have a 6ft high Griselinia then it must have survived the Big Freeze ? Am I right ? If so, it will survive again. We live on a hill here, and 2 near neighbours' griselinias survived perfectly well.
And there are plenty of other choices, apart from laurel ! Beech, or yew for instance.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulching with a deep layer (1")of autumn leaves will also help protect it. You could fleece it to help protect the foliage. What's the point of a mostly dead hedge, with rootstocks surviving though? Not much good from a privacy point of view! Our neighbours' Griselinia survived the first hard winter, but it didn't gather enough energy over the summer to make it through the second.

If you have the money, grub it up, cut your losses, and plant female Holly. Slow growing, berries for xmas (variegated varieties available- any variety called "King" is female, and will have berries. "Queens" are male. A bit queer eh? That's the way cultivars are described though!), and good firewood. You can nearly coppice and pollard it (in winter) at will. Expect to pay at least a fiver for a good bare root plant, very little growth in the first year, but a foot a year after that.
phelim_d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive & Tippben,
the grisilenia are from spring 2011 and have reached 6 ft already. But they are spindly.

We will weather any weather that comes. What is the worst that can happen anyhow. I'm grateful I've little ash trees planted and that the mountain ash (immune to the die-back fungus) are thriving Smile

I'll get osme mulch for their roots and a duvet or two.

thanks and best wishes.
P
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I could help you but....Did you know,
Do you want to have a divine hedge in your life? Then your goal should be to become a servant of God.

When you hear the word "hedge," what you think of? Most people think of a hedge made of plants. You may have a set of hedge clippers somewhere in your garage that you use to trim plants. But the word "hedge" in the Bible describes something more substantial than a bush. The Hebrew word really means "wall." A hedge was a defensive wall often built around a city. The bottom part might be comprised of stones or hard packed dirt, and there might be thorny plants on the top of it.

The general idea of a hedge is that of a protective fence-a barrier. In his conversation with God, Satan pointed out that God had built a spiritual hedge around Job, around his family (household) and around all his possessions. Job couldn't see the hedge, but Satan could. As I mentioned in the last message, there are many things that exist in the spiritual world that are invisible to our eyes, but that doesn't mean they aren't real-they are. It is a wonderful insight to realize God can provide a spiritual barrier around His servants to protect them from spiritual attacks. Let's notice a couple of things about this divine hedge of protection: Want to read more>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/surrounded-by-gods-hedge-of-protection-david-dykes-sermon-on-ot-characters-149041.asp?page=2
There's more to this hedge business than meets the eye.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent another deep freeze killing hedges Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi yiz
If we get temperatures < -10 this winter like 09/10 etc, does anyone know of a way to keep hedges alive that usually get killed by these temperatures?
Has anyone any simple effective tips?

phelim_d I put together an article on this subject a while back.
Have a look over it......... Frost in your garden, How to protect your plants.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: