Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Help Needed! Jungle-like growth...

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Mcik
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Help Needed! Jungle-like growth... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been covered previously. I've had a fair scout around the forums and can't find anything that answers my questions specifically, so thought I'd put it up.

I've moved over to live with my dad in Laois. His house has a garden, but due to the fact that he works shifts, and his complete lack of green fingers, the garden has been left for a LONG time. It's now a wilderness, the grass is approx. 1.5 to 2 feet tall, most of which has fallen over and is simply lying there, prone.

The ground itself is around bog-land, and there are giant bushes growing all over the place.

I wanted to know where to start, really. There is a concrete ledge/step at the back of the house, and then a small, square garden area; at the moment I can't even make out where the concrete ends.

Is it a case of removing all of the long grass and trying to re-seed, or are there any more drastic measures I should be taking? To that end, is there any particular tool to use/avoid? I'm a complete novice with gardening, by the way. It's something I've always wanted to get into though, and it would be nice for my dad to get it sorted out.

Thanks, if you've read all of the above! Embarassed

Mike
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mcik

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. But i wouldn't worry too much as a lawn in this condition can be returned to normality without much effort.

Start Now by strimming the grass down to half its height and cotinue cutting it each week until the lawn is 4 inches long.
Rake and remove dead grass and moss.

Allow the grass settle over the winter and next spring, once the soil has warmed up in late march you can sow additional grass seed.
To do this, rake the surface of the grass, again removing moss and scratching the soil.

Sow lawn seed, approx 35g/m2
water in

begin regular cutting in late april.
You can begin a light feed in mid June until mid August

By this time next year the lawn will be perfect
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like pictures here Laughing
Mcik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garden Shop:

Hi, and thanks for the advice. With the grass lying flat, I've been told I'd be better off with a sickle, rather than trying to strim. What do you think?

Greengage:

As soon as I can dig out the old digicam I will take some photos for your consideration! Embarassed
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wait for the pic, Make sure you use heavy duty strimmer cord or else use a blade on the strimmer i wouldnt bother with a sickle.
But if it was mine Id strim it removing the top 2/3 of the grass then Id spray it with roundup rotovate it or use a stone rake to level it off and till the soil a little then re seed.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, depending on how much you have to do, a sickle (grass/fag hook, as opposed to scythe) could well be more efficient, as you don't have to rake up all the strimmings afterward, but can either bag it or stack it as you go. ALWAYS use a stout glove on the hand that grasps the clump of grass to be cut (don't know if you're left or right handed). I shaved a knuckle down to the bone once by not wearing one. A sickle is for cutting, using a circular motion, like a slaughterman's knife, not a tool for hacking at things like a machete. Sorry if it sounds patronizing, but I've met a lot of people who don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: