Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Bad dog

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jimiseven
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bad dog Reply with quote

Hello All

I know that having a dog brings alot of joy but also a lot of moments where they would be best served with alternative owners (we love our dog), but having laid a new lawn which is currently fenced off (although was breached recently by our canine friend much to my annoyance - giving her up for adoption was considered!), i am eager to hear if anyone has any tips in keeping the dog walk on the lawn to a minimum, being wise enough to understand that you can't keep the dog off all the time.

I see these keep off solutions/crystals in garden stores but dont know much about them and not sure if safe for small kids or indeed the lawn.

The dog is easily trained so we are training her to use an separate area in the back for toilet, so that is unlikely to be an issue, just want here to keep from using the lawn as a general digging area.

Many thanks un advance.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thingymagig you can buy that keeps dogs from going into an area by using some sort of radio signal.

Don't know what they're called but a neighbour down the road has such a system and it seems to work very well. His is to stop his dogs from going out onto the road. I think the dog has a collar on, which is part of the system.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thingymagig you can buy that keeps dogs from going into an area by using some sort of radio signal.

Don't know what they're called but a neighbour down the road has such a system and it seems to work very well. His is to stop his dogs from going out onto the road. I think the dog has a collar on, which is part of the system.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have this problem too, radio fence is good, but does not stop your dog from digging, it stops him from going to certain places, but in the end the dog will go elsewhere, even stones in driveway, im afraid the only thing is a pen, a dog run, but dont buy one of those ones that confne a dog to small places, build one or get some one to do it for you, concrete base is better by far, then wood or metal post with chainlink wire. 7 metre by 3 metre is a good size,. you have a nice garden, and the dog will be more happier after a few weeks because your not giving out to him all the time, they can be very aware of this. but let the dog out when your there all the time, and only put him in the pen when not around. jim
Darwin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two fantastic pure bred German shepherds but gave them both away because they destroyed the garden. I'll never have another pet around the house again.
pollen jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no need to punish yourself Darwin like that. just realise what the pet needs and what you need, and go about it, pets will enrich yourself awareness, a beautiful empty garden is still an empty garden. a dog is a great companion, if your alone or great for kids. nothing like the laughter of children and the fun playful barking dog,just be aware of each others needs and you be great together.
therickmoister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another use for the thingymagig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnM0w4ypU4
Noknowgrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of getting a device to give your dog a electric shock you could always try training the dog. We have 2 boxers and a collie and all 3 know to stay away from area of garden I use for the veg patch. If the garden is more important than the welfare of the dog I would suggest not keeping a dog or any other animal for that matter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: