Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

One Million Trees...

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: One Million Trees... Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, did anyone sign up for this:
http://www.onemilliontreesinoneday.com/
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is a million,
How long would it take to count from one to one million? Let's figure it out. We could count the time it takes to say each number 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . but it's hard to time such small intervals, even with a stop watch, and it takes a different length of time to count each number; some, like "seven" are 2 syllables.

Counting, and making sense of numbers, applies to many different careers: some of the careers that deal with statistics are insurance, accounting, finance, real estate, science, and even sports. When a statistician needs to estimate an amount, they use different techniques. one technique is to measure a large quantity, then divide by the number in the quantity, which gives you a better answer than just measuring one item.

To get a more accurate estimate, a statistician would count a number of different ways: counting to 100, counting more than one time, or counting from 1000 to 1050 for example, to factor in more of the 2- and 3 syllable words. How accurate does the estimate have to be? It depends on the application, and what you are counting. If you are counting grains of rice, maybe 2 or 3 plus or minus doesn't matter. But if you are counting millions of euros, one or two of these millions matters quite a bit! ask NAMA In our measurement of the time it takes to count to a million, we will be satisfied with a rough estimate. So let's count to 30, and see how long that takes. Try this yourself, using a watch or clock with a second hand. Count at a normal, steady rate, and don't forget to breathe!

Now let's see. I just counted steadily from 1 to 30, and it took about 28 seconds. I could have counted a whole lot faster, but I decided that if I had to keep this up for as long as it would take to get to 1 million, I'd better take a few breaths, and not try to go too fast. So, figuring in some breathing space, and maybe a cough or two, let's say we could average 30 seconds to say 30 numbers (hmm.....when we get up to the really big numbers, they might take longer to say . . . like seven thousand seven hundred and seventy seven!) I think this is not going to be a very close estimate. The really big numbers are going to take more than twice as long to say as the single syllable numbers. We had better use an estimate of 2 seconds for each number, on the average.

Oh well, here goes . . . So that means we'll say 1 million numbers: 2 million seconds., and 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours in a day (Oops! I guess we don't have time to sleep!) 60 times 60 times 24 = 86,400 numbers per day. Now, to find the time, in days, to say 1 million numbers we'd have to do some more arithmetic. First, there are 60 seconds in a minute, so we divide 2,000,000 seconds by 60; then, since there are 60 minutes in an hour, we divide the number of minutes by 60; then since there are 24 hours in a day we divide by 24 and get approximately 23 days.

That means we'd have to count day and night, without breakfast lunch or dinner, without sleep or television or a phone call or a bathroom break (yikes!) for 23 days. http://mathforum.org/sanders/geometry/GP09Million.html

Can you plant 1 million trees in a day and how many people would that take,
How big are the trees, do you have to dig a hole or just a slit, Say if you could do 50 an hour how many people would you need and can it be done in 24 hours.someone else work out the maths im tired all ready
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think....Just do it!!!

"Stop doubting. - If you think that you can't achieve something, I have some news for you, you're probably right. But don't let your self-doubt interfere with other people's dreams. Remember, the one who says it can't be done should never interrupt the one doing it. "

Gautama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked for 50 trees. I hope that I'll be able to plant them with the missus. If we did one each every 20 minutes we'd easily get them all planted in a standard day. Capiche?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
Don't think....Just do it!!!

"Stop doubting. - If you think that you can't achieve something, I have some news for you, you're probably right. But don't let your self-doubt interfere with other people's dreams. Remember, the one who says it can't be done should never interrupt the one doing it. "

Absolutely got it in a nutshell. Excellent, excellent post. Top marks.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Gautama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email back. I'm not feeling too confident.
The original day was meant to be late November. This has been pushed out to early March. Doesn't leave much wiggle room should there be further delays.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to smile when I saw the post pushed out, this is not going to happen just think about it logically for a moment, 1 million trees if they only cost €1 each and that is not taking into account delivery never mind supply, that would be 1 million euros not to mention the amount of land it would take up please be realistic There is no money for this project some one got a rush of blood to the head, Wheres the money going tg to come from and who is supplying the land. Look out your window or walk around your lacality and ask yourself is this for real. And while were on the subject of trees where did all the trees go that were planted as a millenium project one for everyone in the country???????? follow that one up.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the woodland trust in the UK managed to plant one million trees in february this year - this in a country with a population about 12 times the population of ireland, and a greater interest in ecological causes; and it took them one month to do it.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/jubilee-woods/latest-news/Pages/millionth_tree.aspx#.UIFeEWewXXo
Gautama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Look out your window or walk around your lacality and ask yourself is this for real. And while were on the subject of trees where did all the trees go that were planted as a millenium project one for everyone in the country???????? follow that one up.

When I look out my window I see many acres of Coillte forestry, so maybe it is possible?
Most of your presumptions are answered on their website, in the FAQ.

As for the Millenium Trees, these are still there... they haven't moved, you know! You might have a certificate. Vita had a tree project a few years ago, I donated and have a cert and location of a tree in Marlay Park. Never went to see it though!
I think it was one tree per household, wasn't it? Not one for everyone in the audience! Very few in Cork, as I recall.
I think there was a newspaper feature on some guy tracking down his family's Millenium Tree. Can't remember how that went.
Gautama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
and a greater interest in ecological causees

A generalisation, surely? They didn't get their first Green party MP 'til the current parliament. They, or their voters at least, are hardly that interested.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, their ecological groups are generally much larger on a per capita basis than in ireland.

the woodland trust in the UK has 200,000 members - which would be the equivalent of about 10,000 members in ireland. no woodland organisation here would approach that level of membership.

only birdwatch ireland could probably approach that level of membership here - but compare that to the UK, where the RSPB have over 17,000 volunteers and over one million members.

the issue about how the vote affects the green party would probably lead to a discussion of PR vs. FPTP.
Gautama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:

the woodland trust in the UK has 200,000 members

Do you have a profile breakdown of these in terms of what countries they live in?
Do they all reside in Great Britain? I doubt it, many may live in Northern Ireland and even the Republic of Ireland.
But you know what? I'm not interested in those figures. For me the bottom line is that I like trees, I think an effort to plant an additional 1 million trees on this island is a good one. I've my doubts and concerns, but I'm happy to be a participant and I hope it works out.

If they only plant 10,000 then that's not so bad. If they plant all 1,000,000 then I guess they set their target too low.

Only that I'm bound by leases I could have offered to accomodate more trees but 50 isn't so bad. If they don't need me to plant 50 trees on my own patch then I'm a willing volunteer to plant trees elsewhere.

If there are other opinions then I suggest phoning 1 850 715 815. Talk to Joe, 'coz Gautama ain't listening!
onemilliontreesinoneday
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: One Million Trees in One Day Reply with quote

Hello Gautama, Greengage, Kindredspirit and Inishindie,

Great to see you all discussing the One Million Trees in One Day project on here and hope I can help to clarify a couple of things.

Yes Greengage we are totally guilty of a rush of blood to the head... but, it has got us through two years of research and development and has built us an enormous team of consultants, supporters, professionals and volunteers who have worked day and night for months and months to get this project off the drawing board and out into the real world.

We have about 1500 landowners taking part and the breakdown of trees, woodlands and an increasing number of volunteers across the 32 counties will make for a bit of a demonstration of the old saying that many hands make light work. Trees are being accommodated by schools and colleges, farmers, councils, community groups, state landowners and private landowners. The generosity and good spirit of landowners joining the project has nearly overwhelmed us and we are delighted to have so many on board.

About the planting date Gautama, we kept it flexible from the start to fall between November and March with late November and early March traditionally being the best times to plant broadleaf trees. The weather and the trees themselves dictate the rest and given the alarmingly inconsistent weather we have had the last few years we have stuck to our guns in remaining flexible on setting the date. Two years ago there were several inches of snow on the ground and a hard freeze during early November and last year the oak trees were still cheerfully in full leaf during December. The trees need to be fully dormant for lifting from the nursery and as we stand right now, they are not yet ready to be moved for distribution. This became apparent during October and so we have shifted the date on to March. Whilst we all tend to want to hear and set hard and fast rules, dates and deadlines for events, the wild weather conditions this summer have played havoc with so many events that we have stayed very open about our date and intend to continue to do so until we are happy that we have made the most sensible choice.

As Gautama mentions, the FAQs and about pages on our website at www.onemilliontreesinoneday.com give a pretty detailed account of the details of the project and how it is designed to work. I am so pleased to see constructive discussion of the project, any direct questions can be sent to info@onemilliontreesinoneday.com, otherwise hope to see it continue here.

One Million Trees in One Day is a very idealistic project for sure, but we hope to have crafted it in a way that is both practical and achievable and with the help of the thousands of people who have joined the team and who are following its progress, we hope that it will be a great fun day and that it will leave a long lasting legacy for our children and their children and their children...

Thanks to Gautama, Inishindie and Kindredspirit for your positive words.
Regards,
The One Million Trees in One Day team.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this years ago when it came out, and was delighted to find it on utube, well worth watching but do so when you have time to enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU
organicfarmerthomas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Million Trees, I'm in. Reply with quote

I have been working with the million tree team to plant 3 acres of my farm.
I am planting 10 different verities of trees for short term coppice.
We will use this coppice for research into an agro-forestery model. Where we will grow the trees , to feed the mushrooms who help feed the plants . Good systems thinking .
I was very impressed by the million tree personal who visited me.
They were very committed, full of drive, knowledge and want to plant lots of trees.
Lets help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: