Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

One Million Trees...

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Speedwell in Lawn?
Last post: tagwex
Portuguese laurel propagation
Last post: john32c
Think I planted potentially damaging trees near septic tank
Last post: tagwex
Tress require pruning
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you planting them at roughly 1000 to the acre, or are you leaving them thinner than that to facilitate coppicing?
organicfarmerthomas
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Planting > 1000 / acre Reply with quote

I am planting them in 5 meter bands 60 meters long. trees at 1m apart and in six rows per band.
These bands are running north - south.
Between the bands there will be 10m open spaces for crop production or grazing.
I will have 9 bands with 9 different species in order to compare and contract their growth, suitability to mushroom production and general properties .. for agro-forestry .

Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an update on this is long overdue.

inishindie, kindredspirit... your comments may have "been positive".
In the end, the posters that were correct were Greengage and meideval knievel, whose comments were pragmatic.

If recent Irish history has shown us anything, "being positive" is not a good thing. "Soft touch regulation", "soft landing", etc. And when the country went down the tubes in 2008, 2009 and 2010, there was all this cuckooland talk of "being positive", leaving people further stretched when reality hit. Rant over!
Isn't it far better to be pragmatic? And if things are looking good, then be positive. And if things are looking bad, then be negative (even if our Taoiseach of the time suggests we kill ourselves). And ideally, be pragmatic.

Usually I am pragmatic, but for some reason the comments of Greengage and medieval knievel turned me away from the reality and into a deluded "positive thinker". Oh the shame; silly me.

To recap, the plan was to plant One Million Trees in One Day. The date was set for late November. A good time to plant bare root trees.
This was postponed to early March. Not a great time but still not too late. Then it was postponed to late March... just as well we'd a cold spring.
Finally (?) the date was set for 26th/27th April, from noon to noon. Yes, planting bare root trees in late April. Better be a summer like that of 2012...

I asked for 200 trees and got only 10. I knew there were problems and that I would not get my full allocation, therefore I cancelled all the help that I'd roped in.
I only found out the actual number on the day. I'd designated three or four parts of the land for my 200 trees, but as I didn't know if I'd be getting my trees, or how many, I didn't have the ground prepared.
As I drove from the collection point to my land I decided to put the ten trees elsewhere: a thin strip of ground with a hedge and ditch on one side and a fencing wire on the other.
So I planted them there, as quick as I could, amongst the weeds.

I had a quick glance there two months ago, could only see three of the trees. Haven't had a look since. One thing is for sure, there was no water supply and there was no repeat of the summer of 2012.

Overall, about 100,000 trees were planted but they're not finished yet and intend to plant the other 900,000. Funding is one of their many issues; now they're applying for the competitive Arthur Guinness fund.

So yes, it was a debacle. Greengage and medieval knievel, you were right. Pragmatism, as ever, wins out.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just plant trees Guatama. Breaking some sort of record is unimportant. Slow and steady wins the race. If I'm walking at this time of year (onwards), I'm usually carrying seccys or my knife. If I'm near the lake, I'll take a willow cutting and stick it in the ground. If it's winter, and there's a hazel, I'll layer it. I also plant acorns all over the place- somewhere where they'll have a chance of living for several hundred years if they grow.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tippben, you're my sort of person...the original guerrilla gardener by the sounds of things ! Good luck with the planting.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! Thanks Sive, but I can't claim that title! Outside my house is council owned grass. I am expected to mow it, which I do, but because I hate mowing grass, there is a damson, an apple, a liquidambar, a holly, hawthorn, spindle, golden hazel, blackcurrants, poppies... Nobody's ever complained yet.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even if you're not the original guerrilla gardener you're still a fantastic example to us all. Keep up the good work.
By the way, have you read the book " The Man Who Planted Trees " ?? What a wonderful fable that is and when I read it, how desperately I wanted to believe it had all happened as described ! I think an animated film was made of the story too. If you can get your hands on either the book or the film, do..... it could encourage you to ever-greater tree-planting ambitions !
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who missed it first time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU
Gautama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Just plant trees Guatama.

Ouch! That reminds me, and this is the thing that pisses me off the most. Last autumn I had access to many young trees for replanting but since I was expecting to be planting 200 trees in November I decided to give it a miss (time and space constraints).
Hopefully I'll still be able to access those trees this year. Like the 200, these were also free and healthy.

I did collect some rowan berries today. Most of the trees near me have berries that have gone red but this lone tree still had green berries. Apparently it should be possible to get them to germinate next spring, rather than the spring after as would be the case with the red berries.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gautama wrote:
inishindie, kindredspirit... your comments may have "been positive".
In the end, the posters that were correct were Greengage and meideval knievel, whose comments were pragmatic.

unfortunately, i gain no pleasure from this.
i have heard that a large part of the problem for them was sourcing grant money. i'm not sure if this was complicated by the fact that the land being planted on was not theirs.
Gautama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
for those who missed it first time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU

I'd never heard of this. Nice video. Why don't the screen this at Christmas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: