Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Viburnum Tinus

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
banner
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Viburnum Tinus Reply with quote

I got a Viburnum Tinus and some of the leaves are bitten a bit. I did some research and found reference to a viburnum leaf beetle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhalta_viburni.

How do i know if it has that beetle? Should I spray it before planting it and with what?
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send an image of the Viburnum.

Given that it was a bumper year for slugs, they could be the culprits
member11809

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too and it is not flowering. The ones i see in garden centre and shopping centre beds are flowering now, I planted mine around last october in a partly shaded place. There are new little leaves but no flowers
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydream beliver your problem could be poor pruning which could explain the lack of flowers. The time to prune viburnums is late spring or early summer soon after they have flowered . They flower on wood produced the previous year, so if you cut after the flower buds have formed (i.e.autumn or early spring), you'll cut off that years blooms.
Lack of light and poor soil nutrition are two other general causes of shrub non-blooming.
If you give pruning a miss this year and give the plant another year, it should bloom without you doing anything. If you're still getting nothing by year 3, then do a soil test and or consider moving the plant to a sunnier spot if the light isn't already good.
member11809

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Daydream beliver your problem could be poor pruning which could explain the lack of flowers. The time to prune viburnums is late spring or early summer soon after they have flowered . They flower on wood produced the previous year, so if you cut after the flower buds have formed (i.e.autumn or early spring), you'll cut off that years blooms.
Lack of light and poor soil nutrition are two other general causes of shrub non-blooming.
If you give pruning a miss this year and give the plant another year, it should bloom without you doing anything. If you're still getting nothing by year 3, then do a soil test and or consider moving the plant to a sunnier spot if the light isn't already good.
OK thanks. Just to clarify i did not prune it ever and only have it since last October
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok give it time to settle in probably suffering from a bit of shock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: