Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

A Lawn of 2 Halves

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ciaranlan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: A Lawn of 2 Halves Reply with quote

Howdy Gardeners,
I have bitten the bullet and dug up my suburban garden (Yikes! I hear you say) It took the guts of a few days and I didnt run into too much bother. I came across only 2 blocks! The soil is pretty light and easy to turn over. I had blitzed with Round-up a few weeks back. I am sending off a sample to be tested tomorrow also. Anyhoo, my issue is that as I look out my back door there is literally 2 different patches of garden. The problem is I have a 6 foot wall running the length of said garden on the south side. Therefore there is a strip approx 3 foot wide out from the wall that HAS never or never WILL see the sun. Its noticeably wetter and soggier than the other part of the garden that does see some sun. I dont think drainage is an issue so I wont be putting in pipes or anything. Its literally lack of sun! What I was wondering was is there anything anyone would recommend growing in the wet patch? There was grass and moss there before. I have planted ivy to grow up the wall and its doin' well. I was hoping to just plant grass on the whole thing but I dont know if it will do well. Is there any grass that would like those conditions which might blend with regular grass on the drier section? Or would a wildflower mix like it?
Confused

The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Brave of you to tackle the entire garden, so well done there.

With your troubled spot: dont feel too bad as there is a lot u can do with damp shade. Dry shade on the other hand can be very limiting

Firstly, grass grows well in shade but will be patchy if the ground is too wet. Maybe consider a soak hole to get away excess surface water and your lawn a has better chance.

Otherwise there are a range of really nice plants suitable to your site conditions:
Hosta
Fern
Acanthus
Astilbe
Gunnera
Filipendula
Anemones
Clematis
Hydrangea
Tree fern

These offer a range of leaf shapes, colours and textures.
Lastly choose white flowering varieties where possible as they really stand out in the shade.
ciaranlan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Comprehensive list-Thanks for that,
I like the look of the ferns amongst other things

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnera will be on the banned list soon so thats a no no
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: