Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Polycarbonate greenhouse

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
robbie checker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Polycarbonate greenhouse Reply with quote

I currently have a fairly large polytunnel (40 foot long by 25 foot wide). This is my third year having it. All the summers have been very poor since I got it - this year probably the worst! In the first 2 years I had a lot of problems with grey mould - 1st year I had too much in it and I was keeping the doors shut to try and ripen tomatoes etc but this caused more problems with mould and disease. This year I have less in the polytunnel - I have a good few tomato plants, cucumbers, a few sweetcorn and melons which started setting fruit a few weeks ago so I am hopeful of some melons next month! I find the polytunnel great for early vegetables - we had some new potatoes in May this year and strawberries as well. I currently leave the doors open day and night to help with ventilation as there are some black spots coming on the tomato plants which I cut away as I see them. If I leave the tunnel closed even at night, there is a lot of condensation on the inside which then drips down during the day. If we were getting some good sunny days, the sun would burn this off early in the morning and it wouldn't be a problem but on these damp and wet days, the condensation does not dry off and if you close the doors again, the conditions in the tunnel get damper. By leaving the doors open, I am finding that it is quite cool in the tunnel and growth is not what it should be. Melons and cucumbers like warmer conditions than tomatoes and I am considering purchasing a greenhouse as an alternative for these. Just wondering does anyone have a polycarbonate greenhouse and is condensation or dampness an issue with these? I was looking at a Gardman one on the net and it seems good value. I am considering the polycarbonate because we get a fair bit of wind and have kids so I think the polycarbonate is a bit stronger than glass. I am also thinking of purchasing an electric propogator and putting some electric in the greenhouse and using the propogator in the greenhouse as I find there is not enough light if I try to propogate indoors and plants get very leggy. Below is the link of the greenhouse I am thinking of purchasing. I asked about postage to ROI and was told £4.95 same as for UK.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/greenhouse-type-greenhouses-freestanding-c-696_3595_3746.html?src=cbtype
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my neighbour has one and suffers from condensation and low light levels.
One pane blew off in high wind and son broke one pane with football.
As for a propogator have a look at this site/film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyOUzyMRrU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: