Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Wildflower lawn

Most Recent Posts re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Is this a Verbascum
Last post: Margo
Rose disease
Last post: Sue Deacon
Compost question
Last post: Keeks

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
djh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Wildflower lawn Reply with quote

Sowed this summer but with hardly any flower seed thtough the grass mix the flower seeds have germinated quite well and more importantly the grass hasn't needed to be cut. The area is rougly fifty by ten metres. I now need to add more seed . but the question is whether to wait until the present flowers seed, which will probably be into October, or lose some of what is there and cut earlier to prepare for sowing.in September. Alternatively to wait for spring sowing. The reasons why the grass hasn't grown strongly are compacted ground, shallow soil depth and some of top soil was removed over part of the area. A lot of thistles grew but these have been removed by hand. There is a reasonable chance that new seed will also germinate and survive but I need to select varieties that can survive cutting during the season sometimes in the longer term. just to keep it reasonably tidy.

Any ideas on when to sow.? I have a spring tine harrow to help prepare the ground.

The photograph makes it look better than in reality because the scene is compressed but there are still new flowers appearing, mostly poppies now.
Everything is later than normal.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mix you sow will depend on your soil type for the moment cut it down and leave to lie for seed to fall out then remove stems and grass you can over sow it next spring again if needs be. i will check out suppliers if your interested and post links here.
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait for the current flowers to die off before cutting the meadow, this will allow for better seed development. later you can remove the cuttings

Areas that had little wild flower can be prepared and sown again.

Remove existing grass, weeds and weed roots and rotavate these areas now

Depending on the meadow seed mix you can sow now or in spring. Use harrow to prepare seed bed and sow seeds

Do not feed or fertilize soil. you should mow your wild flower meadow twice a year, in early spring and again in late September.
djh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably does make sense to leave the present flowers until they all seed. Even though there are so few their sedd is more likely to germinate. I will probably add some other seed in late autumn if conditions are OK and more seed in the spring.

I can cut the grass and lift the grass clippings separately with the mower so that should scatter the seeds a bit more.. Inevitevely the background weeds and stronger grasses are going to dominate so it is always going to be a bit of a compromise but part of the reason for the excercise is to encourage insects and birds for photography. Even if it looks a bit rough it will still do that..
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks good djh, and so much more interesting than a boring old lawn. with the price of petrol for lawnmowers at present I'd say there will be a lot more following you in future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: