Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi From Australia - Seeking advise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Michael, we'll be looking forward to reading all your adventures.
Paleo_Gardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so excited - Just heard from my Superannuation fund that they will be crediting my bank account with my lump sum tomorrow, or Thursday, or Friday. Can't rush these things - grrrr.
So looking forward to booking my ticket RSN.
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, prepare yourself for an Irish autumn. We've had some lovely weather, and the trees are slowly changing colour...the chestnuts are the first and most obvious. And the shops have displays of peanuts and Hallowe'en costumes and masks. We're all waiting to hear of your journey from the other side of the globe.
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Michael - enjoy your trip to Wales and then to Ireland. As Sive said, it's Autumn and a beautiful time of the year.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the well wishes
Leaving New South Wales Thursday afternoon
Arriving Old South Wales Friday Morning - (Can that be right?)
Enjoying the semi-managed panic.
Cheers,
Michael

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad Smile
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! You're nearly there at last ! Trees are beginning to take on their autumn colours, the countryside looks beautiful right now. But by the time you get here the clock will have been turned back an hour, so be prepared for the dark evenings. Safe trip.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Since you are interested in Palaeolithic maybe you should stop off in Spain on your way over and drop into Atapuerca
Nice weather, nice people, lots of people passing through.(Route of Camino)
Enjoy the retirement and stay safe.
If you are going north remember Donegal won the All-Ireland football and if your going west fingers crossed Galway will beat Kilkenny, These are important things to know if you are going into a rural commmunity
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet
If you listen to local radio ,One of the most popular radio shows is the daily broadcast of local obituaries. I kid you not.
enjoy and if you notice anything funny about us please post.

Two Irishmen were waiting at the bus stop when a truck went past loaded up with rolls of turf.
Jimmy said, "I'm gonna do dat when I win da lottery."
"What's dat den?" asks Mikey.
"Send me lawn away to be mowed."
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Arrived UK on the 18th of October and am staying with my sister and BIL in South West Wales. Decided to swap my drivers licence for a UK one so that I can buy a car in UK and bring it to Ireland rather than renting one in Ireland to start with as it will be a while before I have an official place of residence in Ireland in order to be able to register a car there. I think that I will be able to re-register, tax and insure the car (yet to be purchased) in Ireland as soon as I settle down.
I have also set up a UK bank account and am getting on the NHS, NIS etc. All these things take time.
I am about to advertise for share accommodation or lodgings in Cork in the accommodation section of Craigslist and possibly Boards.ie.
"Single Australian male retired early and looking to settle on the West coast seeks share accommodation or lodgings in Cork (initially) whilst searching for a property"
Can anyone suggest any other web sites that I could be posting such an advert on?
Planning to visit old friends in the UK and then head off to Ireland middle to late November.
Cheers,
Michael
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ah the eagle has landed, you should have mentioned you have loads of money to splash around that would have got you an instant response. Laughing only joking your getting nearer and should be ready to spread your wild oats come the spring.
welcome Home
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleo_Gardener wrote:
Arrived UK on the 18th of October and am staying with my sister and BIL in South West Wales. Decided to swap my drivers licence for a UK one so that I can buy a car in UK and bring it to Ireland rather than renting one in Ireland to start with as it will be a while before I have an official place of residence in Ireland in order to be able to register a car there. I think that I will be able to re-register, tax and insure the car (yet to be purchased) in Ireland as soon as I settle down.
I have also set up a UK bank account and am getting on the NHS, NIS etc. All these things take time.
I am about to advertise for share accommodation or lodgings in Cork in the accommodation section of Craigslist and possibly Boards.ie.
"Single Australian male retired early and looking to settle on the West coast seeks share accommodation or lodgings in Cork (initially) whilst searching for a property"
Can anyone suggest any other web sites that I could be posting such an advert on?
Planning to visit old friends in the UK and then head off to Ireland middle to late November.
Cheers,
Michael

Be careful Michael when you move over here you have 28 days to re-register your car. If you come over here and you haven't owned the car for more than 6 months you have to pay import tax, It doesn't cost anything to register your car but insurance and road tax are quite hefty also cost of new number plates.
We had a problem with our car when visiting UK and bought a new car there. The total cost with insurance, road tax,import tax,number plates, NCT test has cost us over over a thousand euro
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Ah ah the eagle has landed, you should have mentioned you have loads of money to splash around that would have got you an instant response. Laughing only joking your getting nearer and should be ready to spread your wild oats come the spring.
welcome Home

The seagull has splatted more like it. Smile
Wading through bureaucratic hoops - pardon my mixed metaphors.
I thought that "early" retirement might have hinted at riches that do not, in fact, exist.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
Paleo_Gardener wrote:
... Decided to swap my drivers licence for a UK one so that I can buy a car in UK and bring it to Ireland rather than renting one in Ireland to start with as it will be a while before I have an official place of residence in Ireland in order to be able to register a car there. I think that I will be able to re-register, tax and insure the car (yet to be purchased) in Ireland as soon as I settle down. ...

Be careful Michael when you move over here you have 28 days to re-register your car. If you come over here and you haven't owned the car for more than 6 months you have to pay import tax, It doesn't cost anything to register your car but insurance and road tax are quite hefty also cost of new number plates.
We had a problem with our car when visiting UK and bought a new car there. The total cost with insurance, road tax,import tax,number plates, NCT test has cost us over over a thousand euro

Always very grateful for direct experiences Margo. I am hoping that the 28 day rule only applies once I have requested to reside in Ireland.?
I would imagine that a person from the UK could visit Ireland on a number of occasions each for a period of more than a month, buy a "holiday" home and then apply to reside as a permanent resident at a later date. Perhaps 6 months later in fact. I look forward your ideas regarding this point.
Cheers,
Michael
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we moved over here we had owned our car more than 6 months so it was OK as far as no import tax etc. However you do have to register it within 28 days and change the plates.
Its different if Ireland is a second home and you are travelling to and fro. You can do that on English plates.
As you have just bought a car you have got to have it at least till May next year before getting out of paying import duty (Ours was €400)
Another warning the Garde are very hot on it.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A a point of interest the Irish Police force are known as An Garda.
They have a very difficult job to do and Probably if you are stopped at a regular check point they will explain the suiitiation to you regarding number plates, Lucky in a Democracy they are there to help and protect. for more info http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5416&Lang=1
Number plates will be the least of your problems here.
Margo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no problem with the Garde in fact I feel safer here than I did in UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: