Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi From Australia - Seeking advise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Most Recent Posts Time to go?
Last post: kindredspirit
Ponddigger breaks the rules (again)
Last post: vulkan
vortex water fountain
Last post: ponddigger
magic tap water fountain
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Paleo_Gardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I know that my last day at work will be the 28th of this month. I should be ready to leave Australia a couple of weeks after that. Excited anticipation.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be waiting to hear of your adventures when you arrive.....we've just been having some beautiful Indian Summer weather and the farmers have been busy harvesting and making the most of it after a really dismal three months. The joys of living on an island in the Atlantic, I'm afraid...it's all ahead of you !!!
Good luck.
mariafp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleo_Gardener wrote:
So now I know that my last day at work will be the 28th of this month. I should be ready to leave Australia a couple of weeks after that. Excited anticipation.

I moved to Ireland a few years ago and I am loving it. I may be a little bit weird but I love the rain and the winter early nights! Very Happy I think that (in general) Irish people are very friendly and talkative.

I have read that you may be looking for adopting a dog. If you want to adopt or foster a dog, please, get in touch and I will pass you the details of animal rescues in your area.

Wish you the best.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you have been enjoying an Indian Summer Sive, EDIT****I just heard that there has been flash flooding in Cork, I hope that it clears up soon. ***** Oops that was back in June I just checked.

Hi mariafp, I am interested in a rescue dog when I get settled, I don't think it is fair for the over sixties to buy puppies.

Marching time at the moment just waiting to finish at work and then be on my way.

Cheers,
Michael
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleo_Gardener wrote:
I shall miss Greengage's wit and humour.
Think that I have solved my international banking issues - pleased about that.
Still thinking of renting in Galway - being the mid point of my target area on the West coast. However, I am wondering if it might be a fairly long journey from there to explore West Cork or Donegal. Maybe I should rent in Cork then look around then move to Galway and look around etc. So much that I cannot know until I get there.
Cheers all,
Michael

Hi Paleo. Welcome to the Forum.I'm in N/W Sligo overlooking Donegal Bay I'm originally from Dublin but found my own Heaven on Earth in this little corner of the West I aint' trying to sell you the N/W it will do that itself when you see it. Now to " cut to the chase" { small talk out of the way } instead of confining yourself to one area IE Galway,ever thought of renting a Campervan for a few Weeks and cover Cork to Donegal at your leisure it will be out of Season and no doubt you will get a good deal also its the best way of getting to meet the locals and get all the gossip and information regarding Properties.
The rest of the Gang have pretty well covered everything else but no doubt you have a Million more Questions to ask well we aint' going anywhere and there will always be one of us in whatever area your passing through..........Oh remember we're a pretty small Island about 500mls x 200mls so there is very little chance of you getting lost.
Best of luck in whatever choices you make..............Dave.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geranimojess/Dave,
Great idea regarding the Camper-van, it would certainly serve me for two or three weeks enabling me to check out the whole of the West coast.
Until recently I had been really keen to rent a place as soon as possible so that I can get a utility bill to prove residency which would then enable me to open a bank account and have a residential address for car registration insurance etc.

Now, touch wood, I think that I have arranged a way to get around the banking issue.

So, in summary, thanks, I have already requested off-season quotes from a few companies.

Now I am really intrigued regarding the North-West, you are not the first to recommend that area.

Cheers,
Michael
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Lads just because they have the Taoiseach there and Mayo and Donegal are in the All-Ireland dos not mean anything in the long run , It wont last beautiful scenery and nice people but I want to go south Cork the real capital had a Taoiseach won numerous all-Irelands in both football and hurling and they will be back in all codes in the future. Enda will take all your money,
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage's posts always have me reaching out for google, so much more to learn I am sure.

I have received some quotes for campers Geranimojess. Low season may be a lot cheaper than high season and some companies have offered an even better deal for a longer term rental. However, it would be a lot cheaper to purchase a second-hand vehicle as soon as I arrive.
However, I believe that I need to be able to demonstrate a residential address (by virtue of a utility bill etc) in order to satisfy vehicle registration and insurance requirements.
I need the car/camper to drive around looking for somewhere to buy.
I would rather stay in hotels etc until I am sure of the area that I want to settle in - then I will rent short term until I purchase somewhere. So I will have issues demonstrating residential proof at the time that I am hoping to buy a car.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this?
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned if you have any particular hobbies/interests that you want to pursue...do you need to be near a good library for instance ? Are you interested in being part of a community ? For instance amateur drama is really strong all around the country. Tidy Towns always need volunteers: http://www.tidytowns.ie/
My own nearest town of Gorey in Wexford has a lot of activities from bridge/whist,drama, choirs etc to evening classes. You'll find rural people get involved in a lot of activities over the winter.
Wherever you go, ask around and see what is going on in the local town...it'll be a good way to settle and make new friends. And picking up a local paper is another very good way of seeing how lively a community is.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paleo_Gardener,

I have been reading with interest your thread on the site. Firstly Cead Mile Failte, (1 hundred thousand welcomes). Ireland is a great place to live, I have lived in many different countries before heading home to settle down, and although I live on the East Coast , I moved to a town 40 miles from my home town where my husband and I knew no body. We got involved locally with community groups, and were accepted immediately. Infact people forget that we are not Drogheda natives. After we moved here a lot of Dubliners moved up to our town and did not get involved so never settled in properly.

We have two dogs, rescue mutts, and we bring them to the UK regularly with no need for passports, it is so easy. We also grow our own veg in our small town garden very successfully and with gardening you make great friends, on line and in gardening groups.

I wish you luck with your move and if you need any help just send me a pm,

Maeve
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleo_Gardener wrote:
Greengage's posts always have me reaching out for google, so much more to learn I am sure.

I have received some quotes for campers Geranimojess. Low season may be a lot cheaper than high season and some companies have offered an even better deal for a longer term rental. However, it would be a lot cheaper to purchase a second-hand vehicle as soon as I arrive.
However, I believe that I need to be able to demonstrate a residential address (by virtue of a utility bill etc) in order to satisfy vehicle registration and insurance requirements.
I need the car/camper to drive around looking for somewhere to buy.
I would rather stay in hotels etc until I am sure of the area that I want to settle in - then I will rent short term until I purchase somewhere. So I will have issues demonstrating residential proof at the time that I am hoping to buy a car.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this?

I understand you wanting to get settled in but thats not going to happen overnight or within Months as our Utility Bills are usually issued on a Monthly/2 Monthly basis also because your a "Newbie" sometimes Deposits are required adding to your House Rental and/ or Hotel costs your looking at serious $$$$$$. Your Passport ought to suffice when Hireing a Vehicle and the idea of the Camper was to avoid curtailing your options until you find your Feet remembering that your coming to a new Country { and your very welcome} thats Alien to what you have been accustomed to for nearly 40yrs really the only things we have in common is the English Language and we both Drive on the wrong side.
Have you contacted any Auctioneers in Cork...Kerry...Clare...Galway...Sligo...Mayo enquiring about Properties and Prices and Houses to Rent if you have your doing the correct thing if not get started now.I could sit at this Computer all Day and Type until my Fingers are raw and it would not even scratch the surface of whats ahead of you.I dont envy your task but holler if I can be of any assistance......................... Dave. PS you can leave out "Geranimojess" in replies makes it tooooooo Formal. Laughing
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive, Dave, Maeve, et al - I enjoy bushwalking (it might be known as hiking in Ireland) and spending time in the country-side generally, especially foraging. I enjoy all aspects of natural history and ancient history - especially the upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic. It was whilst searching for information regarding the Palaeolithic that I came across the modern Paleo movement - my health has improved considerably since adopting this lifestyle. Paleo_Gardener just means old gardener, hence my urge to press on and get my hands into a bit of soil that I can call my own.

It does not look as though house prices are going to increase any time soon. However, I would imagine that Spring and Summer would be the times of highest demand so that is why I have been thinking to buy somewhere in the depths of Winter.

This also has the advantage of not buying somewhere that seems great in Summer but turns out not to be so suitable Winter.

I am making quite a transition in terms of both retiring and moving to a new country at the same time but I am certain that I shall be kept busy and am really looking forward to the move.

When I actually fly in will depend on getting a few financial arrangements finalised, hoping middle to late October at this stage. I have been checking out a couple of local papers on the net. I have also been checking out furnished places available for rent on daft and other sites. I hope that I will find somewhere suitable but have heard that rental properties are in demand during October due to the academic year starting at this time?

As far as the fine tuning of my plans are concerned - well they keep getting re-tuned every day as new information comes to hand. Hire cars are very reasonably priced compared with camper-vans so a rental car for a few weeks seems to be the go.

As soon as I find somewhere to rent then I will be able to buy a car or camper-van because I will have an address which one seems to need for registration and insurance purposes. There is a way to get a utility bill issued by asking for a reading as soon as one moves in - I think that I read this somewhere.

I do look forward to integrating within the community, perhaps voluntary work of some sort. I have joined a couple of other gardening forums in addition to this one.

Cheers,
Michael
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retired from work on Friday the 28th. Now just waiting for my superannuation fund to come good with the money (which could take a month). Then I shall visit family in the UK and then arrive in Ireland after that. So I am still on target with my first post in this thread.
Cheers,
Michael
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Michael - hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I am enjoying mine. Keep us posted on your plans.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are interested in Palaeolithic maybe you should stop off in Spain on your way over and drop into Atapuerca
Nice weather, nice people, lots of people passing through.(Route of Camino)
Enjoy the retirement and stay safe.
If you are going north remember Donegal won the All-Ireland football and if your going west fingers crossed Galway will beat Kilkenny, These are important things to know if you are going into a rural commmunity
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet
If you listen to local radio ,One of the most popular radio shows is the daily broadcast of local obituaries. I kid you not.
enjoy and if you notice anything funny about us please post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: