Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi From Australia - Seeking advise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other fun bit is trying to convince people that live in UK that we are in Europe and they still insist on putting a second class stamp on mail. We still get Christmas cards in February as not enough postage on it. We have even had legal bits sent through and they don't realise the extra postage.
rej
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Irish addresses Reply with quote

Just went on facebook and a friend has posted a picture of a letter that he has just had delivered from USA. The address was his name, the name of his estate, Ireland! His name isn't that unusual and he lives in a fairly built up area. Wow.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive, Greengage, Margo, Her Outdoors, Inishindie, Knoxville, Rej and anyone else who stumbles across this thread,

A big thank you, for all of the really useful information that has already been shared.

My redumbnancy just hit a minor snag and a two week delay has been injected into the process. Feeling a bit frustrated about this but it is probably a blessing in disguise because there is still so much that I need to find out about.

Prompted by Rej's latest comment referencing Facebook, please feel free to send me a private message and I will provide my Facebook identity. I joined Facebook a while back but shut it down due to privacy concerns. Now I realise that many people in Europe tend to use Facebook more regularly than email.

A Couple of new sub-topics.

Vehicles.
I am planning to buy a car as soon as I arrive in Dublin in order to be able to drive across to Galway and then explore properties on the West coast.

I note that diesel is cheaper than petrol in Ireland - that used to be the case in Australia until a few years ago. I think that diesel has the advantage of returning better fuel economy.

I have usually owned vehicles that have a fairly low environmental impact. However, the vehicle before last was a diesel Toyota Land-cruiser Troop-Carrier which I converted to a semi-canper. With this vehicle I could go anywhere, down to a remote beach to collect seaweed for the garden, along unsealed roads in remote parts of Australia (had a great time).

My first question is this - Is there any need for a 4WD in rural Ireland?
(Bearing in mind that the only 4WDs that I can find on the various car sales site seem to be shiny "high street" 4WDs. I would like to be able to drive on a beach, go foraging, explore woodland etc.

My next question is this - do I really require an International Driver's Permit. Apparently I can swap my Australian licence for an Irish licence.

Another question - how do I obtain insurance when I will not have a residential address at the time of applying for said insurance.

Regarding the last two questions I have spent a lot of time on various Irish government web sites and just seem to come up with conflicting information - though that could be my poor old befuddled brain Smile

Irish banking and transferring money.
I have all sorts of questions regarding this - how do I establish a bank account on arrival in Ireland. They require that they sight my passport, no problems with that. However, they also require that I provide evidence of residency by providing utility bills. This will be difficult if I stay in hotels or short-term rental accommodation where all utility services are included.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive, Greengage, Margo, Her Outdoors, Inishindie, Knoxville, Rej and anyone else who stumbles across this thread,

A big thank you, for all of the really useful information that has already been shared.

My redumbnancy just hit a minor snag and a two week delay has been injected into the process. Feeling a bit frustrated about this but it is probably a blessing in disguise because there is still so much that I need to find out about.

Prompted by Rej's latest comment referencing Facebook, please feel free to send me a private message and I will provide my Facebook identity. I joined Facebook a while back but shut it down due to privacy concerns. Now I realise that many people in Europe tend to use Facebook more regularly than email.

A Couple of new sub-topics.

Vehicles.
I am planning to buy a car as soon as I arrive in Dublin in order to be able to drive across to Galway and then explore properties on the West coast.

I note that diesel is cheaper than petrol in Ireland - that used to be the case in Australia until a few years ago. I think that diesel has the advantage of returning better fuel economy.

I have usually owned vehicles that have a fairly low environmental impact. However, the vehicle before last was a diesel Toyota Land-cruiser Troop-Carrier which I converted to a semi-canper. With this vehicle I could go anywhere, down to a remote beach to collect seaweed for the garden, along unsealed roads in remote parts of Australia (had a great time).

My first question is this - Is there any need for a 4WD in rural Ireland?
(Bearing in mind that the only 4WDs that I can find on the various car sales site seem to be shiny "high street" 4WDs. I would like to be able to drive on a beach, go foraging, explore woodland etc.

My next question is this - do I really require an International Driver's Permit. Apparently I can swap my Australian licence for an Irish licence.

Another question - how do I obtain insurance when I will not have a residential address at the time of applying for said insurance.

Regarding the last two questions I have spent a lot of time on various Irish government web sites and just seem to come up with conflicting information - though that could be my poor old befuddled brain Smile

Irish banking and transferring money.
I have all sorts of questions regarding this - how do I establish a bank account on arrival in Ireland. They require that they sight my passport, no problems with that. However, they also require that I provide evidence of residency by providing utility bills. This will be difficult if I stay in hotels or short-term rental accommodation where all utility services are included.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we moved to Ireland we opened an Irish Bank account with our English address. We had proof of English household bill and passports. When we moved to Ireland we just changed our address.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since your coming from Australia a couple of important facts for you to know

In Ireland we have moore mobile phones than people (You probably have more sheep than people there)

Was in Inch in Co Kerry recently outside the village there is a sign saying Inch 1mile figure that out.

We have lots of signs in touristy places in Braile now if your blind how do you knoow the sign is there I coulld never understand this.

Do you know what an Imersion heater is and how important it is to turn it off.

The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia, in County Galway.

One of the most popular radio shows in rural Ireland is still the weekly broadcast of local obituaries.

Ireland's Saint Fiacre, born in the sixth century, is the patron saint of gardeners.

"Cemetery Sunday" is a lesser-known tradition still practiced around Ireland, although it seems to take place on whatever date is most convenient for local church leaders. A mass is celebrated for families of those buried in the local church graveyard, after which an effort is made over several days to clean up the churchyard. Special attention is traditionally given to the graves of those who have no one left among the living to remember them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52bna-tn_dY

if link does not work type into utube des bishop immersion routine
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening bank accounts here has become a huge headache because of the banks having been forced to tighten up their procedures to guard against money laundering. It is interesting to hear that Margo used her English address, I wonder would an Australian address be as acceptable....
I hope you keep posting on the forum, I have given up on Facebook ( really don't like it ) so I won't be able to keep up with your adventures.
PS You're beginning to appreciate the Irish sense of humour, I hope, through Greengage's interesting posts !! Whatever about immersion heaters, bet you don't know what a hot press is !
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - opening a bank account is a nightmare here now. I tried recently to open two childrens accounts for my grandchildren, who live in the UK. My daughter was with me and the two children. We had both birth certs and passports + Mums passport. They wanted two utility bills from MY DAUGHTERS ADDRESS even though it was me that was opening the accounts and I have had an account for over 40 years in that bank (I kept it open even when I lived in the UK and had it when I moved back). I was transferring a small amount from that longstanding account to the childrens account - but they still wanted all my daughters information. Strange! I have sent you a PM to add me on Facebook, I look forward to following your progress.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
You seem to be blessed with plain sailing at every turn. What is your secret?

Hi Greengage,
Yes, I have heard that there are more mobile phones than people. I have also heard that the rate of theft of mobile phones is a world beating statistic. Now I just need to know that this does not happen on the West coast Smile
My girlfriend is a sheep - I have not told her I am leaving yet Smile
Someone in Australia was legally blind and still got a licence - (or was that Jake from Becker on the TV ?).
Des Bishop was hilarious I also like Tommy Tiernan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI2G7iIYRDQ

If you did not turn off your immersion it would end up bejanxed I guess.

I saw a program on the TV the other day, I think it was from the UK, where school children were growing vegetables in a graveyard. That is recycling taken to the max if you ask me.

On the subject of TV and all things gardening, I enjoy Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, he is easily available on Youtube. Are there any Irish equivalents?

Hi Her Outdoors and Sive,
Yes the banking is causing me some grief. I can open a Bank of Ireland Offshore Account on the Isle of Man without any identity requirements being met. I cannot open an Irish Bank account until I arrive then there are issues regarding identification requirements. Heaps of other issues that I might post later if I cannot solve them and need further ideas.

More Questions
Back to the car thing - do I really "need" a 4WD if I am living in a rural area? In rural areas in Australia they pretty essential, roads impassable in wet conditions, driving through flooded creeks full of crocodiles etcetera.

Cheers,
Michael
knoxville

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleo_Gardener wrote:
Hi knoxville,
Thanks for your feedback, very encouraging, May I ask how long you have been living in Ireland? I am interested in anywhere on the West coast at the moment. For some reason I am particularly drawn to South-West Cork but there are lots of properties on the West coast that look really suitable. My plan is to buy a car as soon as I arrive in Dublin and then drive across to the West coast and rent somewhere in Galway. I am thinking that Galway would be good because it is in the middle of my search area and I think that I should be able to drive to view any properties on the West coast in a day. Thinking about joining http://www.movingtoireland.com as a paid up member because I still have lots of questions despite spending lots of time on various Irish government site ect

Hi i was born and lived in Armagh until my early 20s then like so many other headed for New York and have moved about the other places until we built our house here north mayo 5 years ago.
That sounds like a good plan you have to come a visit first but remember if you come in the winter it will be wet and sad looking at times and not just the west coast all over Ireland , in saying that i do love walking on the beach on a cold wet stormy day
As for the car thing , no your don't need a 4x4 unless your up a mountain and even at that the chances of getting cut off for days is few and far between, a 4x4 would be good for snow but mostly on the west coast frost is a bigger problem and the more remote you live the less/later in the day it is before the roads get salted, a lot of farmers has 4x4s but remember they also pull livestock with them
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Knoxville,
I am hoping that looking at places in a "drab" time of the year is a good strategy. I was listening to RTE radio the other morning - it was either John Creedon or the South Wind show. Anyway, Puffins - my favourite birds were mentioned. I am not superstitious or given to omens etc. However, I did look at the locations favoured by Puffins http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Auks/Puffin/tabid/363/Default.aspx
over the summer and found that they mapped very well to the areas that I have found most attractive so far.
This advert http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=667799 just arrived in my email - they do not give a price but I think one would be pretty close to the Puffins at least Smile

Cheers,
Michael
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be my last post on this topic, just back from Bantry in Co Cork
saw lots of property for sale, beautiful scenery, Sea mountains birds etc.. also benifit of gulf stream.
If you do visit there drop out to Ahakista and visit the heron gallery have a cup of tea and look around the garden you will be inspired cheers.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall miss Greengage's wit and humour.
Think that I have solved my international banking issues - pleased about that.
Still thinking of renting in Galway - being the mid point of my target area on the West coast. However, I am wondering if it might be a fairly long journey from there to explore West Cork or Donegal. Maybe I should rent in Cork then look around then move to Galway and look around etc. So much that I cannot know until I get there.
Cheers all,
Michael
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small health scare this week. All is well now, touch wood, but it does serve as a reminder to be realistic and not to aim for somewhere really remote. I am really attracted to a minimum land area of about half an acre which seems to be the norm for rural properties. I am hoping that I will be able to find somewhere with this land area but on the edge of a village. The link to the property that I posted earlier being Price on Application was, unfortunately, out of my price range when I inquired.
Now I have reduced my search area to West Cork as my initial area to investigate when I arrive.
Cheers all,
Michael
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care of yourself Michael, and yes,don't isolate yourself too much...not that I know what age you are, but you must be somewhere around retirement age....?
I think you'll love West Cork.
Do keep us posted how things go....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: