Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi From Australia - Seeking advise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Most Recent Posts Back in Business
Last post: tagwex
Weed Identification
Last post: Keeks
Elstar and discovery apple
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect countries like Australia, America would insist on a passport. I was just talking about going to and fro from UK
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be sceptical of these best places to live, If everybody in a small community like Pollough got together I bet they would come out very high on the list.
Check out Erris for the moment i would avoid here due to all the trouble with the Shell to sea you wouldnt like to be making a fresh start in this mess.
What about buying an Island check out here
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/news_from_ireland/Buy-your-own-Irish-Island-for-the-price-of-a-family-home-120768029.html
Paleo_Gardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greengage,
The Erris Shell to Shore controversy has been dragging on for years hasn't it. And it has been a bit ugly according to all of the articles that I have been reading, youtube has a lot of coverage too.
I would be going for the island property if I were a few decades younger. I have seen a few properties on islands and they do have a certain appeal.
I have lived on an island before, it has both advantages and disadvantages.
Cheers,
Michael
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise, Michael, that we will all be fascinated to hear how your search is going, and where you end up settling, so please keep in touch as your story progresses ! It will be such an exciting and challenging time for you,that it will be fun for us to share some of your experiences. Or maybe you could start a blog !
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive,
I do have a spreadsheet of possible properties. All of them obtained from MyHome.ie - now I know that I have to sign up with daft.ie as well.
I am really exited at the moment - just waiting for my voluntary redundancy (VR) to get finalised. If the little place that I end up in does not have a name then I think I should call it VR cottage.
Challenging too - when I discover that PO Boxes are three times more expensive that they are here. Then relieved when I discover that car insurance is much cheaper than here.
Does this site support blogs?
I have just (re)-joined Facebook and shall definitely be posting my progress there as well as here.
Thanks to you, greengage and Margo for keeping this thread lively and supportive.
Cheers,
Michael
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know we even had post boxes here I know we dont have post codes Iam also curious where you end up, Another thought just struck me there is a little controversy concerning Fracking in Co leitrim dont know anything about it but there are suppposed to be some detremental efffects on groundwater so if you end up in leitrim check that out before you part with your money and look into Radon gas areas around the country. Im not been negative here just pointing out the problems and areas i would avoid, Its a great adventure Oh and if you plan on cutting your own turf that may not be possible in some areas. But if you end up in Mayo Luke MING Flanagan TD could be an ally. keep us posted.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Paleo Gardener. Hope the search is going well....

Don't neglect us up here in Inishowen will you?! Lots to see and do..... http://www.visitinishowen.com/

Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greengage,
I guess that Post Boxes are not the norm in Ireland. I think that you have things at the post office called "Caller Bags" - I just need somewhere to use as a secure postal address.
Fracking is a serious issue over here and a growing controversy. I really appreciate that you point out areas to be cautious about and things to look out for. This is exactly why I started this thread.
Hi inishindie,
I have been overlooking Donegal - need to fix that - and start looking over your part of the country - thanks for the prompt.

Cheers,
Michael
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a postcode but our postman seems to know everybody
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
To live without being treated as a number but as a human being.
Can't wait.
knoxville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paleo, i wouldn't worry too much about the Erris Shell to Shore controversy , i'm close to it and never here much about it now.
Here in north Mayo i grow most things in raised beds and have good wind breaks and grow pretty much everything, this year things have been about one month late but i think that is all over Ireland.
the one thing that has helped this year is that i covered all the beds with black plastic to keep the weeds down and it has helped warm the beds so crops are good. I will be doing this from now on as it has been a great success no weeds , warm beds .
I'm not worried about been totally organic so slugs have not been a problem.
As for living in Mayo i wouldn't live any where else now, had lived in NY ,Oxford and Dublin. I now wake up too the sound of the sea and know my kids are safe.
Good luck to your search .
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, we have a collection of mis-addressed envelopes that have nevertheless been delivered to us, often with little delay....we were so amazed that some of them reached us at all that we kept them ! So the post office and your local postman will get to know you very quickly.
And while we don't have postcodes, we have something far more wonderful in rural Ireland i.e. "Townlands"....nothing to do with towns at all, but are the smallest geographic division in the country and that is how you will eventually define where you live. They are very ancient divisions, mostly with names translated from the original Irish.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, we have a collection of mis-addressed envelopes that have nevertheless been delivered to us, often with little delay....we were so amazed that some of them reached us at all that we kept them ! So the post office and your local postman will get to know you very quickly.
And while we don't have postcodes, we have something far more wonderful in rural Ireland i.e. "Townlands"....nothing to do with towns at all, but are the smallest geographic division in the country and that is how you will eventually define where you live. They are very ancient divisions, mostly with names translated from the original Irish.
Paleo_Gardener

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi knoxville,
Thanks for your feedback, very encouraging, May I ask how long you have been living in Ireland? I am interested in anywhere on the West coast at the moment. For some reason I am particularly drawn to South-West Cork but there are lots of properties on the West coast that look really suitable. My plan is to buy a car as soon as I arrive in Dublin and then drive across to the West coast and rent somewhere in Galway. I am thinking that Galway would be good because it is in the middle of my search area and I think that I should be able to drive to view any properties on the West coast in a day. Thinking about joining http://www.movingtoireland.com as a paid up member because I still have lots of questions despite spending lots of time on various Irish government sites etc.

Hi Sive,
As I posted yesterday I am really looking forward to being known by name rather than being identified by a number. I wonder which "Townland" I shall end up in?
Approval of my departure from work just hit a frustrating snag and I am looking at a delay of a further two weeks. Somewhat frustrating.
Cheers all,
Michael
rej

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Irish addresses Reply with quote

The real fun is trying to convince your non-Irish correspondents that your address really is only three lines long - townland, town, county. If you live in a properly rural area, a small village, your name and that of your village will get you.
Saying all that, the rumours round here are that all those little road number signs on the back roads these days are there to put a postcode system in place, so we may yet be entering the 20th century!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: