Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Help needed with making new lawn look healthy

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
rolf
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Help needed with making new lawn look healthy Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just built a new house and set the lawn myself. The ground is excellent and on limestone land. The site was used to grow grain for the past 30 years or so. It is 0.5acres in size. I know that i probably set the lawn in the worst possible year : ( but i need some help/advice please. Here is the process that i used:

1. I set the lawn in mid May using Goldcrop No. 2 lawnseed and also spread 10-10-20 fertilizer on the same day. I also sprayed off the weeds about 3 weeks before this using roundup. A few days after seeding there was very heavy rain and a lot of the seed and fertilzer got washed around the lawn and more especially into the low lying areas of the site resulting in the grass being a bit patchy in high areas and the lower areas have plenty of grass.

2. At the start of July (6 weeks) i reseeded any bare pathes using Goldcrop No. 2 lawnseed and spread 7-6-17 on the complete lawn. Again we got some heavy rain a few days after but it didnt do as much damge as the first time. The new seed started to grow and I started cutting the lawn at the end of July (8 and a half weeks) as a lot of weeds had germinated and were starting to grow strong. The lawn has been cut 3 times so far.

My problem is the finished product is a bit bare in places and also has a slight tinge of yellow in a lot of places. We have 2 dogs and wherever they urinate there are nice looking healthy green clumps of grass now : ). The lawn is obviously lacking in something ( probably whatever the dogs are giving it) and i really need to help it along to full health before the autumn/winter kick in proper. Is there something i can spread that will sort it out? i picked up some plant food (powder to mix with water) (kind of like miracle grow) to try out an experiment on some of the lawn but havent put it out yet as the weather is too wet and the ground is saturated. Should i get the soil tested to see what it is lacking?

I will post some photos over the next few days if i can. Any help would be very much appreciated.....
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first mistake was putting 10-10-20 on the lawn when you spread the seed. This probably cuased more damage than the rain ie the seed got burnt by the fertiliser.
Never feed a new lawn until one years growth cycle and not with 10-10-20.
Reseed the patchy areas and when 70cms high cut about 1/3 to help it thicken.
The weeds that have grown a probably those that have been exposed when the soil was rotovated so they are probably annuals and will not survive when you cut your lawn any Perennials should be removed by hand itf their are not to many as for the dogs you havethree options
1. They will have to go.
2. you will have to confine them to another area.
3. Toilet train them to go somewhere else.
Oh Bitches urine is worse dont know the reason for that though.
rolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I presume you are not a dog lover then : ) any suggestions on how to "green up" the grass?
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a green up then a nitrogen feed is what you are looking for rolf.http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5849.html

Greengage wrote:

Oh Bitches urine is worse dont know the reason for that though.

They squat to pee. so the lawn beneath them gets a concentrated dosing, wheras male dogs lift the leg and the pee comes out in arching squirts.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here they supply all you need for care of your lawn.http://www.turfcaregroup.com/

As for the Dogs, Naw dont like them I have to deal with their owners on a daily basis no leads , shite everywhere and never picked up and if they do Put it in a bag they throw it in the trees up high you wouldnt believe the carry on of dog owners.
Ok " we are all not like that" but theres thousands so someone is telling lies thats the rant about dogs Grrrrrrrrrr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: