Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Laying Turf over Existing Lawn?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: ponddigger
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MisseyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Laying Turf over Existing Lawn? Reply with quote

Am i crazy to be thinking of laying turf over our existing lawn?

I need to raise the level of the garden but can't bear the idea of stripping the lawn, rotavating the soil and laying turf.

Plus i've small kids so it'll be hard to keep the kids out of the garden long enough to do this ourselves and we've no budget to get in the professionals.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

E
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, but I would worry about the level of your new lawn after it had time to settled down.

If you can , kill off the existing lawn with a weed killer. A glyphosate weed killer will work fine but keep any children and pests off the treated area for 24 hours, until the weed killer has dried in

After 2 week bring in new topsoil, at least 2 inches and rake level and lightly roll. You can add more topsoil to achieve your desired lawn height.

Next lay turf and water in well.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the a above post but after killing off the existing lawn I would scarify the area then add sand similar to the type used on golf courses to raise the level no more than 50cms otherwise you would have to use soil. rotovating it will also raise it but this will be due to air in the soil and when it settles you will be back to square one. Be careful of so called professionals all you need is a van and trailor + lawnmower to call yourself professional always check out their work from reliable source.
MisseyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your advice. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me and i'm a lot more confident about tackling the problem now.

I'd love to avoid using the weedkiller if at all possible. Do you think that laying black plastic over the area for the winter would do the same job?

E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: