Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Nautical Themed Garden.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Nautical Themed Garden. Reply with quote

Been absent for a while with a few Health problems nothing serious but enough to put the Computer aside,anyway I'm slowly getting back until I'm called in for a Hip replacement any time soon.
Meanwhile I'm passing the time trying { without much luck} to gather as much Info' on a Nautical Themed Garden, as some of you may recall I have a Riding Arena, so far I've managed to put in a Border 100ft long by 7ft wide this I've managed to fill with an array of suitable Salt tolerant Plants,Boulders,Pebbles and Posts. The entire Arena is now covered in a Membrane and 8ft Poles mark the Footpath which is dividing the Nautical Garden from the Childrens Play area.
If anyone out there has any ideas or Photos or can recommend a good Book I'd be delighted to hear from them my hope is to combine Sand with Blue Slate/Stone,Beach Stones { legally purchased} an old Boat and a small Pier.
I've made Friends with a local Garden supplier who gives me the proper advice on the Plants to use but thats it . Help, I dont want to waste this time sitting around doing nothing,I'm 3/4's way through this project and its been a lot of sweat {and a few Tears} along the way all I need is the final push to finish it ,any takers.
Thanks. Dave.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geranimojess, sorry to hear you haven't been well, nothing better than a project to lift your spirits ! Have you heard of or seen Derek Jarman's garden in Dungeness in Kent ? I saw the most inspirational TV programme once all about it. Granted it's on a shingle beach, but I'm sure you could get some ideas from it. You'll find everything on google.
Good luck with the hip replacement too !
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive. Nice to hear from you again and Thanks for your good wishes,I've been onto Google and tried every heading I can think of but nothing suitable crops up apart from Companies advertising their Wares and the odd small Photo which is no good to me.
I'll see if I can Google Jarmans Garden perhaps he maybe on line anyway if you think of anything else I'm just a click away.
Thanks. Dave.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie Sive,got onto Derek Jarmans Garden and over 60 Photos popped up for me to browse through I'm spoilt for choice. Thanks.
Dave.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a piccie of a nautical section in a garden in County Limerick.

There're a little bit far from the sea but no matter. Very Happy

http://terranovagarden.com/photographs.htm

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else have you got on your list of "hardware"?

You could try and put these on it.

Anchor, the larger the better.

Fishing net, old type, not monofilament.

Glass floats, the coloured ones if you can get them.

Warps, sisal and the heavier the better.

Lobster pots, the older type.

Shells, cockles, mussels, razor clams, et al.

Polystyrene fish boxes.

Chain, ground chain if you can get it.

Big shackles as used in moorings.

Must be loads of this stuff abandoned on old piers in Sligo. Laughing

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepers,I have to lie down my Head is spinning,in a matter of minutes I've gone from facing a brick wall to an open Sea.
Sive suggested trying Derek Jarmans Gardens, instant result over 60 Photos, plenty of ideas and several Books all on Coastal Gardens {I ordered some} this led on to Beth Chattos Gardens another Site with loads of ideas and suggestions, then Kindredspirit your input was the Cream, a lot of your suggestions I never thought about and tomorrow Morning I'll pay a visit to the local Boatyard and see what's on offer,your Photos also gave me a few ideas, all in all you both opened a floodgate of new ideas and I'm really looking forward to putting them into reality when I'm fit to do it, meanwhile I've plenty to keep myself occupied till then.
Thank you both you've no idea how much you have helped me.
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: