Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Mid Year - New Allotment - New Start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts the first of 2020
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: tagwex
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
newToGrow
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice so far guys thanks !

yeah I had a walk around the site - there are a few with some young apple trees - some people have hens on their plots - so i wouldnt be doing anything new

I'm not really intending on puting it all in at once - but I guess i figurered if I had an original plan with some foresight - I could save myself from building - rebuilding - remodeling as such,

trying not to just rush in a fling seeds in the ground willy - nilly !!!

yeah - not really gonna be relying on the kids so much - reckon thats why the people have swings and trampolines up there !!!!

will throw p some pics of progress - hopefully ittl keep me goin when things get tough as you say !!

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shed and a couple of plastic chairs will do for now

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making my new raised beds I was dubious about perennial weeds growing up through them. So I lined the bases with thick layers of cardboard and/or newspaper. Result: no weeds have grown through.
The cheapest source of black plastic I have come across is to buy a small silage cover from the local agricultural co-op. You will have enough to do you for years!
newToGrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Thats interesting - never thought of the co-ops .....wouldnt think ill do the cardboard thing as the ground has been harrowed so ill be raking it into piles and building the beds around them !

Someone was recommending I put down some green manure - might give that a shot

Hen question - would we really need to go twice a day if we have hens ? Why is that ?
baabamaal
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the hens, personally I prefer to get them into the coop at night and let them out in the morning. Firstly, good practice in keeping Mr Fox at bay. Secondly, eggs need to be removed fairly promptly- hens are curious and will peck at anything near them. If they peck at them, they will break them and if they break them, they will eat them. You don't want the hens to get a taste for fresh eggs! Apart from that,
they also need access to food and water at all times. Others may disagree, but as Tagwex said, if they're at your back door it is manageable. I'm just going on my experience. However, talk to the henkeepers on site and see how they manage it
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest source of black plastic........ go find an amiable farmer who has a silage pit and ask them for last years cover, it will be damaged but you will easily get enough out of it for your needs. They might give you advice about hens too.

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, aren't we a wonderful source of good ideas, on this website! And I'm not being sarky! The ideas and info go on and on........
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, aren't we a wonderful source of good ideas, on this website! And I'm not being sarky! The ideas and info go on and on........
Oops!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With age comes wisdom, with austerity comes thinking outside of the box. I find myself looking at things another way these days, study it and see what else it could possibly be used for whereas I used to just go out and buy what I wanted. You should see what I am making my polytunnel from.

newToGrow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" ou should see what I am making my polytunnel from.
"

please enlighten me !!!
newToGrow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love seeing other peoples Ideas and innovations even if I do not use them myself - ts always great to see how inventive and resourceful people can be
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a long drawn out process but I have now finally decided what I am going to do. I started by looking at the thread on this site called (you can always look at other sites too) Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). Was very disappointed that nobody answered my queries - that is what a forum is for after all. I found the recycled trampoline to be a stroke of genius, talk about lateral thinking! The one I am going with (made some modifications) can be found on this website http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk (look in the garden projects section and then click on Polytunnels) simply because I have virtually all of the materials lying around here. All I have to buy is the plastic, hot spot tape and the steel posts for the corners that take the 4*4" posts. I have a 150m roll of 3/4" heavy guage water pipe, 25mm galvanised electrical conduit (for the strengthening at junctions and to drill through at junctions rather than through the water pipe, doors, an endless amount of 6*2" timber from timber frame houses, doors and assorted fixings and lots of patience. It will be approx. 15*4m. You could also look at http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=3. Good luck.

newToGrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tagwex - had a look around those sites and here - Yeah the trampoline is a great idea

Got up to allotment for an hour or so after work yesterday got a few of the beds made !!!!

Must start taking pics
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very obscure line between stifling enthusiasm and warning against disappointment - hence my reluctance to comment before - but one question that doesn't seem to have been aired over two whole pages is 'Where's North?'

One of the basics of planning a plot is to have rows of crops running north/south so that the sun shines up the rows and benefits each plant evenly. Have you thought about this?

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an allotment I wouldn't say he has much choice blowin. It is what it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: