Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Cherry Blossom Bush

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Daithic
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Cherry Blossom Bush Reply with quote

Hi all,

3-4 years ago my wife planted what she told me was a Cherry Blossom Bush. It is a very nice plant having multiple stems coming from the base and flowers as you would expect, like a cherry blossom tree, early in the year. It has however grown very quickly and outgrown its space so my choices are pruning or move, and I think we are leaning towards the latter.

Does anybody have experience with this plant? I have searched the internet and find cherry blossom bushes to be smaller shrubs than this (tallest stems are 6 ft now). My plan for moving was first to prune out some of the older stems from the base before potting it into a large pot ahead of moving it (I willl be moving this to another site outside our garden).

Thanks for any insights.

Daithi

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a multistemmed grafted cherry tree. Any pictures, or better description? If that's the case, I wouldn't recommend any heavy pruning near the base, as it will probably grow many more shoots in response. If you do prune though, now is the safest time of year to do it, to avoid silver leaf disease infection. As with all deciduous plants, don't try to move it until the winter, when it is dormant.
Daithic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I did take pictures but they did not give any reasonable resolution on the features that are distinctive. I will try again and see if I can get better clarity. If it is a multi stemmed tree that makes more sense given the quick growth spurt its put on in the last year now that its settled into its spot. I will take your advice on waiting until the winter, if nothing else, it saves me a job now!! I think I will leave the pruning though, I will move and transplant in the one day and I am not at all confident that the weather will settle to dry enough not to be concerned about silver leaf.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you have Prunus triloba look at the picture I know its in Polish or somtning.
http://prunus-guidesntips-info.blogspot.ie/2011/04/plum-prunus-triloba-in.html
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more than likely what you have are the shoots of the rootstock to which the flowering plum was originally budded on to, possibly Myorabilin (not sure). The rootstock appears to have taken over and might well grow into a large tree. Check and see at the base if there are any less vigorous and different shaped and sized leaves ie of the original variety. If there is cut back the other vigorous shoots to the point of origin..
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: