Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Ivy browning in the middle

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
f&vlady
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Ivy browning in the middle Reply with quote

Hi, I have a pretty vigorous growing variagated ivy which has spread to adjoining walls (this was started from 1 original plant about 4 yrs ago).
My problem is that the leaves are browning and then dropping off in the center where the walls abut. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on and hopefully a cure?
Also I'm hoping to harvest some pieces from it to set further along both walls but if the middle of the ivy is diseased is there any point? would I do better to purchase fresh young ivy plants?
f&vlady.
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browning and loss of leaf can be due to either under or over watering! You should check your soil and see if it has become overly damp recently? if so, there is not much you can do except wait for the weather to improve.

On a better note, taking cuttings from ivy is easy and very successful. Best to make your cuttings in late spring/ early summer. Recommend you choose healthy stems, preferably with adventitious roots attached. Dip stem base into rooting powder and place into a sand and compost mix. Keep cuttings well watered.

I for one see the many benefits of ivy, being a vigorous, evergreen, shade tolerant plant. But be warned that it can become extremely invasive!!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of a pic. Ivy is very difficult to kill and not much will kill it if established.
f&vlady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Garden Shop and Greengage for your replies. I think Garden Shop has got it in 1. The spot where I planted the ivy is in pretty deep shade most of the time so probably not getting enough sun to dry out before the next cascade! Had a check earlier and soil is very soggy so here's hoping for drier weather.
f&vlady.
The Garden Shop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we just had the wettest June on record so we're all hoping for drier weather.

Otherwise, maybe you could consider digging a soak hole and fill it with rocks and smaller stones. If done properly, this will help speed up the drainage around your ivy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: