Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Swap cuttings/flowers?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
missy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Swap cuttings/flowers? Reply with quote

Garden centres are so dear just wondering if anyone would like to swap or if they have cuttings for free/swap. I have
Shrubs
Rose of Sharon Hibiscus yellow
Contoneaster white flower red berries
Hebe white flower
Pyracantha orange glow white flower/orange berries
Fushia single baby pink flowers
Varigated Ivy (green and white)
Mexican orange blossom lime leaves with scented white flowers

Flowers
Snow in Summer hardy perennial grey leaves white flowers
Wild geranium pink flower hardy perennial
Sedum stonecrop hardy pink flower and hartland trailing green succulent with small white flowers.

I am looking for cottage garden type flowers /some shrubs funds are low and garden centres are expensive!
I love old style cottage flowers
poppies all types,candytuft, snapdragons, sunflowers,foxgloves, agapanthus (blue drumstick type flowerheads), lupins, nasturiums,cornflowers, delphiniums, wallflowers, iris, red hot pokers,
shrubs
various fushias/hebes, jasmine, honeysuckle, clemetis, forsythia, broom any colours
Would prefer cuttings/plants to seeds as dont have much luck with them Sad
missy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry meant to put in the plant propagation thread
verge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry meant to put in the plant propagation thread

I moved this for you missy.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Anonany
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about garden centres; very few of them now sell young, affordable plants that can be brought to maturity by the purchaser. These days they seem to be buying-in much larger plants and then selling them at "specimen plant" rates ... Ah well, I suppose they have to make a living !

If you fancy a trip in my direction -- or can fit it in with some other journey -- you are more than welcome to raid my wild and woolly garden.

Young plants/bulbs (soil is very damp so should be OK to lift now)
... Hypericum Hidcote (St John's Wort). 4-5ft dome-shaped shrub. 12-18 inch tall rooted suckers.
... Syringa (Lilac). Variety unknown. 10-15ft tree/shrub with pale lilac flowers. 12-18 inch tall rooted suckers.
... Leycesteria formosa (Pheasant Berry). Upright shrub, 4-6ft cane-like stems. 12-18 inch tall self-sown seedlings.
... Laurus nobilis (Bay tree). 5-40ft tree (depending upon pruning). 6-10 inch tall self-sown seedlings.
... Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine). 8-10ft small-leaved semi-evergreen climber with pink-blushed white flowers. Said to be tender, but OK in a sheltered position. Rooted suckers.
... Alchemilla mollis (Lady's Mantle). 12-18 inch herbaceous perennial. Tiny self-sown seedlings.
... Phalaris arundinacea (Gardener's Gaiters). White/green striped 18-24 inch tall grassy foliage. Can be invasive, but OK if firmly kept in check or (as I do) grown in a basket as a pond marginal. In full growth, but wont mind being moved.
... Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm). Vigorous and a tad invasive semi-evergreen 2-3ft tall with wonderfully lemon-scented foliage. In full growth, but wont mind being moved.
... Hyacinthoides non-scripta (English Bluebell). Semi-dormant bulbs, some with developing seed-heads.
... Crocosmia (Montbretia). Semi-wild vigorous form 18-24 inches tall with orange flower. Corms in full growth, but it never minds being moved.

Available for cuttings
... Fuchsia magellanica Versicolor, Fuchsia 'Genii', Fuchsia 'Riccartonii', Fuchsia "Lottie Hobby", plus several others whose names I have forgotten.
... Phlomis fruticosa (Jerusalem sage). Bushy 2-3ft high, ever-silvery/sage green shrub.
... Potentilla fruticosa. Names unknown, but have one with soft yellow flowers (3-4ft shrub) and one with pale pink flowers (2-3ft shrub).
... Phygelius capensis (Cape Fuchsia). Variety unknown. 2-3ft evergreen shrub with rusty red flowers.
... Hebes assorted (white, pale lilac and purple flowers). Names unknown. Heights vary from 2-5ft.
... Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold'. 2-4ft ever-yellow shrub.
... Lonicera pileata. Variety unknown. Prostrate 2-3ft high, 3-5ft wide, evergreen weeping ground cover shrub.
... Lonicera henryi (Honeysuckle). Very vigorous large-leaved evergreen non-fragrant climber.
... Hydrangea arborescens, possibly "Annabelle" (snowball-shaped flowers change from pale apple green, to white and back to green). 4-5ft high shrub.
... Forsythia, variety unknown. 5-8ft, primarily upright shrub but having a tendency to produce side-stems almost at right-angles to the main stem.
... Spirea, varieties unknown. Some with flat pink flower plates, 2-3ft high and some with torch-shaped pink flowers (possibly "douglasii"), 5-6ft high.
... Vinca minor (Lesser periwinkle), names unknown. One plain dark green and one varigated cream/sage green leaves. 5-10 inch high, rooting-and-spreading groundcover shrub.
... Climbing Roses, "Dorothy Perkins", "American Pillar", "Albertine" and an unknown fragrant mid-pink "blowsy" repeat flowerer.
... Shrub/Bush Roses, Names unknown. Several reds (sadly, not fragrant), a clear yellow with a lovely fresh fragrance and a pale pink multi-petalled "Bourbon" type with a lovely fragrance. 3-5ft tall.

Like many gardeners, I often forget exactly what I have got, so I'm sure there's more (although not necessarily "cottage-y"). Many of my plants originally came as gifts or swaps, so I'm always happy to share ... especially if you can spare me a bit of your Sedum "Hartland" which has really caught my fancy !
missy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that would be great, I probably wont be down that way as I live in North Dublin, but if ever I am I will pm in advance. You have lots of lovely shrubs that I would love cuttings of like fuchsia, hebes forsythia, bluebells and many others there is a good selection.
If I get down to Bray I can bring some plants and cuttings with me too
Anonany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Southside isn't exactly "local" for you ... but if you ever have reason to cross the great divide (!) do, please, drop me a pm. Meeting and sharing with fellow gardeners is always so much fun !
missy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do thanks again makes so much sense financially and is fun swapping plants Smile
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Missy,

You would be most welcome to come up and visit my small garden and take cuttings of anything you like. A lot of my friends have done this over the years and very successful they were. I live in Drogheda so not too far.

Just send me a PM through the forum.
missy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks if I am ever going that direction will pm I don't drive so would be depending on hubby Smile thanks again for the offer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: