Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Good guy
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bill O Herlihy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm not the real Bill i'm afraid, he just happened to be on the tv when i was deciding on a username.
Anyway, just set a new lawn around 10/12 weeks ago on a 0.6 acre site. It got its first cut last saturday and seems to be riddled with weeds but after reading a few of the threads here I'm not as worried, hopefully mowing will eventually get rid of them.
I also have a bank around 30mtrs long by 10ft high on the site( site is on sloping field so it's on two different heights) I should really post some pics.
I am looking for something to cover this bank. Would I be right in calling this a creeper?
Anyway I'll keep reading here and I'll hopefully find some answers.

I am looking forward to gaining a little knowledge on gardenig which to be honest I know sweet FA about.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, Thank God the elections were"nt on at the time, God only knows who we"d be talking to now. Anyway welcome. Ye know, they say that if Dandylions and Daisys were hard to grow we"d be sitting up all night watching them. Half acre of lawn? can"t see it meself, all I can see is Spuds, Carrots, onions, Cabbage, Ect. Ect. Don"t worry, theres loads of Lads and Lassies on this forum more than willing to help with your problems.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

This is a double HELLO Bill as I am an OLD member who lost the run of himself and took up voluntary work on the longest unkempt garden in England, otherwise know as the canal system.

My frienbds have been missing my input and tunnel of hens 10 has reined me in.

I can be a right pain-in-the-butt as others will testify so my answer is a question.

Which direction does this bank face?

And separately!

Is there any reason why you should not allow the bank, within reason, to make it's own arrangements? Banks often support a unique flora as they usually are drier and get different sun and wind. It may be some days before I respond as I am at the mercy of town internet connections when I come in for the bread.

Welcome to the gardener's madhouse.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmmm was wondering where you went.
Boater advertising for female partner with boat: 'Must be able to cook, clean, iron, operate locks, polish brass - please send photo of boat'.
(That's how I got my wife!)
PS The boat looks good!
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
as I am an OLD member

Welcome to the gardener's madhouse.

Noah is one of his DESCENDANTS ! ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
stonehead
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing photos and a fine looking boat. Can you make it to sea thru Ardnacrusha or do you have to trailer it ?.

Welcome to the forum Bill.

Stonehead.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: re hello stonehead Reply with quote

Twould take a rather big low loader to transport her. She weighs 12.5 tonnes. She could be sailed from Liverpool to Dublin and into Ringsend for the Grand canal. But her cruising speed is 2or3 knots so the crossing would take 60hrs and it takes over a week from there to Shannon harbour AND another 4days from there to Killaloe. Ardnacrusha BTW is by far the highest lift of any lock in the British Isles and the second highest in Europe.

So I'll budget all that time to gardening instead. I'm part of a guerrila gardening group overhereonthecanals. At the moment SWMBO is doing defensive gardening at home and a course in jungle survival in case the defensive fails. I'm almost afraid to go home after all the rain. OVER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: