Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

My Haphazard Vegetable Garden

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JohnGalway
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: My Haphazard Vegetable Garden Reply with quote

So I've done the spuds thread and will keep that going until they're harvested. Thought I'd start another thread with what other veg I've chanced my arm with.

I've been burning up my PhotoBucket bandwidth allowance something fierce. I had been using an online site to reduce the pixel size of my photos but forgot to change format :rolleyes: Now I just reduce them to 800 x 600 in Paint and save as to jpeg, much better!

Back to business... I may have one or two mixed up here, I just took a few shots, wasn't paying great attention.

Tips, thoughts, suggestions welcome - I already know the place is a mess/not well prepared Very Happy

Spring Onions...

One out of three varieties of carrots...

Early peas in the back two rows, Snap peas I think in the foreground - hadn't enough room to give proper row spacing, must arrange climbing frames...

Lettuce...

Beetroot...

Perpetual/Spinach beet (whatever it's right name is...)

Kale (can't remember why I planted this, must get reading again to find out why...)

God knows what'll happen with them between now and when they're eaten/die Very Happy
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they've grown a bit since June! Smile
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who got to eat them the slugs or you bad year for slugs the most caught so far that Ive heard of 12.000 saw it on Monty don gardeners world last week.
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12000 slugs???

WOW! I've lots in my garden, and have probably at a guess evicted about 300 or 400 from my tunnel this year. But 12k holy moly!
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bit of a disaster to be honest. Either the slugs got them or what I planted just didn't grow. The paint is flaking off my green fingers after my spud success lol. I did pull two carrots this week, neither longer than a finger, some taste though... for about two seconds haha.
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah stick with it. I've had a load of failures but it's worth it for the ones that survive.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I fully intend to Smile But I was ill prepared and too late in my ground prep to do well this year. I've to get some other work out of the way, then I am straight into digging and planning for next year.
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manure manure manure Smile Cover with plastic over winter and you'll be right as rain.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the plan, lots of old sheep shed manure, and lots of seaweed, then let it rot in over winter.

Would covering it over not make it a haven for slugs?
dormouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not during winter. Some might sneak in but if you do it late enough (November/December) it should be fine. If you leave the soil/manure exposed the nutrients will just wash through the soil and you'll loose that goodness. And remember to module sow as much as you can so you can plant out established plants that can withstand slug attacks. Makes a huge difference. Plenty of time to get reading up to while away the winter months.
Eamon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone mention slugs? Jesus, man, the amount I've taken out of my garden over the summer - hard to believe there can be so many of them. In saying that, I was successful enough in my battle with the slimy gits, going out with my trowel and torch every night just after darkness fell. I'm close to the road, so my slimies 'flew' the short distance to their final 'resting place.

Last year I grew my veg in containers, having success with my spuds and leeks, but my carrots and parsnips grew no further than healthy stumps. This year, I put in two raised beds, using soil from a kindly farmer, and compost from a local garden recycling company. I put King Edward spuds in one bed (great success there), and green and yellow courgettes, cabbages, and carrots in the other one. I'm waiting for my carrots now so fingers crossed they get past the stump stage this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: