Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Hello everyone, am a novice gardener and could use some help

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
topcat
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone, am a novice gardener and could use some help Reply with quote

I planted six, 3 to 3 and a half foot griselinia littoralis plants last week. I had the holes dug for a day or two and noticed before i got plants that two of the holes were water logged. Remember all that rain last week? They looked so well and healthy I thought Id plant them anyway, so cleared out all water, put about 4 inches of compost under neath and packed the compost all around. Now Ive noticed the plants to different degrees have developed yellow leaves with black spots that are dropping off at the base of the plants, The top of the plants look very well and healthy.
What should I do? is there any hope?
When I thought they were drowning from so much rain , I did get to the beach and layed a bit of sand around them, thought it might help. As soon as saturday came and the weather dried I scraped a way the sand and felt the compost. It seemed moist enough to me. Long story short ....whats these yellow spotted leaves and what can I do?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of points to be raised here. The plants were very big to be transplanted. Sea sand should not have been used, should not have planted into waterlogged soil or worked the soil while wet. The answer though is positive, griselinia i fairly resilient, the older more mature leaves will wither and drop off but the tip growing leaves will survive and carry the plants through. Do not feed them and do not water them unless we have a drought.. If the soil is normally free draining then all should be in order but you will need to improve the drainage if water persists more than a few days.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

topcat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Michael Reply with quote

Well. thanks Michael for your reply, seems I did everything wrong with these griselinia. but the good news is since I cleared away the sand and took away the small yellow spotted leaves, the plants seem to be looking a lot healthier. So fingers crosses they are as resiliant as you say, and theyll live to see another day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: