Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Help with plant arrangement !

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Help with plant arrangement ! Reply with quote

So the aftermath of Bloom and I now have a garden full of plants I've no idea what to do with. Would love some help with plant placement & advise how to manage the. I have a few areas in the garden i can put them but am starting with a plot 13ft x 11ft. I'm normally a veg gardener apart from wildflowers & sunflowers so have no idea what im getting myself into. I have prepared the ground & was thinking of putting some weed control down & cutting holes for the plants then finishing with bark put am worried the plants wont come back if any are seed dependant. heres the plants i have:
Alstromeria Apollo
Alstromeria Andrez Rose
Heuchera Black beauty
Lillum
Lavandula angustifolia vera
Scabiosa Pink Mist
Hebe elliptica Variegata
Geum Coccineum Boristi
Knautia Macedonica Mars Midget
Phygelius x rectus African Queen
Penstemon x gloxinioides Midnight
Lupin
Aster Potschke
Campanula White Bell
Penstemon Firebird
Geum Blazing Sunset
Coreopsis Sterntaler
Euryops
Salvia Rose Queen
Achillea Cerise Queen
Symphyandra Cretica
Anacyclus Garden Gnome
Gypsohila Rosea
Jasione Montana
Helianthmum Ben Mohr
Hederaca
Iberis
Delosperma Cooperi
Jasione laevis Blue Light
Foxglove x 3

Its prob too many plant for the area but have another 10ft x8ft I could spilt the plants between.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a little googling and find out the approximate size these plants are when they flower, and put the lowest ones at the front of your beds. Pop the rest of them in and in this first season, you will just get to know them and see how they like growing in your beds. And you'll soon find out which ones are the thugs and which need to move.....it's all a gradual process, don't be too concerned about doing it "right".
You certainly have a wonderful selection there...just enjoy them. You'll adore some and feel so-so about others, it's all to do with your personality....and theirs !
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, don't complicate life with weed suppressant fabric......the plants will naturally merge and cover the ground in a year or two ( depending how big these plants are right now )......you don't need bark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: