Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Escargot - collect and cleanse

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Escargot - collect and cleanse Reply with quote

For the more adventurous of you, if you have garden snails - then after the next shower or watering, collect garden snails and put them in a good bucket or container.

By removing the snails you are removing a pest from the garden as well as its offspring and you will need to use less snail pellets etc so it has a double benefit.

You need to collect at least 20 or its simply not worth the trouble

Place them in a cool dark space in a clean bucket or container covered with a damp but breathable cover, a sackcloth is ideal.

Alternatively use a plastic cover with small holes punched or drilled through.
Put in a minute amount of water to keep them moist... clean the tub and the snails everyday of snail droppings.

It is important to cleanse them as we do not know really what their diet has been

Some people just leave them for a week with no food but I find this does two things - firstly I find they loose body mass, and after waiting a week it seems a shame not to maximize return - secondly I think its cruel to starve them.

Feeding is easy, most people use a little cornmeal or polenta mixed with herbs, I put in fennel fronds and carrots.
When the droppings orange they have purged their system and are free of all the plant food which we did not control.
It takes about two or three days

The next phase is to purge. Get hemp seed from a health store, or cheaper still, a pet store. Grind down with a mortar and pestle make a powder. Add a little warm water and make a paste to feed the snails.
After a day of this they are ready to cook

I will update the blog then step by step for Escargot a la Boruguignonne
- Its not at all hard, without al the somewhat ridiculous fuss of an old Irish Times et al - including the au pair and the maid in 1963 !!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/megabites/2009/06/25/how-to-cook-snails-from-your-garden/

Last edited by simonj on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do the same with slugs?

It would save all the hassle of shells and there's loads more slugs in a garden normally.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
simonj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, and not even I'd go that far dude - and thats from someone who after 5 years in SJC would pretty much eat anything
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuallt slugs are exactly the same family as snails except that over time they have lost their shells.

Could you try a few and tell us if they taste the same? Purely as a matter of research, of course. I'd imagine they'd taste the same.

I remember years ago being on a camping holiday in France and we had money left over at the end of the holiday so we decided we'd have a gastronomic splurge in La Rochelle,

We selected the most expensive restaurant and went in. We then noticed there was an even more expensive menu if you went upstairs.

For starters we ordered Fruits de La Mer and it came out for the four of us on a 3 feet long silver platter raised on a tripod in the middle of the table. There were LOADS of molluscs, shellfish, crabs etc on it. After an hour of tucking in, one of the girls said "I think they're all going for a walk on the plate" We looked more closely at the platter to see, that apart from the crabs, everything was alive and they were now trying to escape from our ravenous jaws!

The other 3 promptly stopped eating but I carried on (purely in the interests of research, you know). The limpets were really tough. Other things were really squishy. It didn't do me any harm. You couldn't get fresher food! Very Happy

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
simonj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Actuallt slugs are exactly the same family as snails except that over time they have lost their shells

You go first ..........Purely as a matter of research, of course Razz

simonj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droppings about 90% orange now, starting hemp seed purge tomorrow.

Thing is, I have grown attached to the 21 poor wee things, I feed and wash them every day - thats the problem with this.
They are in their own way very cute

Shooting, fishing and foraging - not a problem, its impersonal, but this is going to be hard

simonj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Last minute reprieve Reply with quote

Well, had to go back to work at short notice, so at 0600 this morning the snails got a last day reprieve - back at it again in two weeks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: