Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

What is this Lily Flower?

Most Recent Posts What to plant.
Last post: FionnG
Engineer needed
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Hello and help needed on watering
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Keith g
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: What is this Lily Flower? Reply with quote

Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated by myself on this one, i don't think that this is a hard one to identify, but I have this lovely bright yellow 'turk's cap' lily growing on beautifully, it is also quite fragarant Very Happy

It's at a height now of nearly 18 inches, does anybody know the correct name for this?

Thanks,

Keith.

What-is-this-Lily.jpg
 Description:
What is this Lily Flower?
 Filesize:  107.61 KB
 Viewed:  3948 Time(s)

What-is-this-Lily.jpg

Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Lilium pyrenaicum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D1&q=Lilium+pyrenaicum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=zCDFT6_0Kojm8QPD1LnfCg&biw=1280&bih=647&sei=zyDFT4uJK9Kq8QOErPSDCw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_pyrenaicum
Keith g

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thanks for that SS Cool

I have a few bulbs of these since late last summer, the first flower came out today Cool

It certainly is a beautiful flower with a very nice fragrance, are they relatively common? I haven't seen these before.

Keith.

mountainy man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lilly too its a beauty but I dont like the smell of it.
Keith g

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thanks MM, I actually don't mind the 'fragrance' at all, although it is described in some texts as having an 'unpleasant' smell. I think it is marvelous looking.

Do you have it growing long? Where did you get it? Have you any advice for keeping it well? or will it just look after itself? What about it's seeds, can they be sown successfully?

I have been reading about it thanks to Silver Surfer, and it is said to have naturalised in hedgerows throughout some regions of the UK.

I hope you don't mind any of the questions... Embarassed

Thanks,

Keith.

mountainy man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith, I have it for a couple of years now, I got it from my sisters garden it was there when she bought the house, It does seem to look after itself , it seems to bulk up producing new bulb saround it , the orriginal clump is around 18 inches in diameter and some of the bulbs get pushed up out of the soil and loose and these are the ones i have been taking for my garden, they seem to be great if put in a well drained sunny spot . I didn't know the name of it when I first saw it and had to wait to see it flower so I could look it up, not sure about the seeds I must give it a go
Keith g

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Well at 18inches that is a very big clump, maybe you could divide it up in late autumn? I have 10 of these now, all ranging from different sizes. Truth be told, I discovered these 2 yearsago while walking past a neglected ditch on a country road about a mile from my house, there are three very large clumps of it. These seem to be there for years - how they got there i'll never know, and have been naturalised here. They certainly were not planted there delibrately.

I do hope it was not offensive to anybody, but I too collected some of the smaller bulbs from them, I had left the three clumps alone and did not disturb the. They really do look out of place in that ditch Very Happy

I notice that also somebody else had taken some more last year, and just driving past them again today, they are all fine and healthy, so they should be ok in a garden. So lucky me with such a find in between the grass Very Happy

Keith.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: