Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

buying semi mature tree

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ellee
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: buying semi mature tree Reply with quote

Hi, I want to get a beautiful tree for my front garden. I am a little impatient so thinking of buying a semi mature tree and getting it planted. My budget would be about €500 - €600.

Is it worth my while at that price range?

Do trees vary a lot in price?

I initially focused on the spreading copper acers but all reports seem to say they hate wind and while I dont live on the west coast of connemara I do live at the bottom of an urban grove which can get a bit windy.

I'm now considering a copper weeping beech.

Really I love the spreading habit of the acers and I love the tall columnar weeping appearance of the beech. I would consider other trees if they had those qualities! Any suggestions?

Does anyone know a good nursery near Dublin that I could make enquiries with? The nurseries I've contacted so far are all over the country.

Your advice much appreciated! Many thanks.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More money than sense Nurseries will love you.
Trees are sold either bare rooted, rootballed or container grown
The come in a veariey of sizews from 6/8 up to whatever
this is a measurement of the girth of the stem in centimetres at 1 metre above soil level
The problem with big trees in a garden is damage from wind rock, shock from movement (From nursery to Garden)
and strike that is its ability to put on new root growth to feed the tree and stabilise it in the ground.It needs a lot of care and attention for the first two to three years and lots of water. Save your money and buy a 12/14 tree rootballed from a nursery and get it planted properly.
Try Flannerys or caragh nurseries they have a large selection of home grown trees.
A fool and his money are easily parted.
ellee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure I appreciate the comments on how I choose to use my money. A weeping beech is very slow growing and I don't fancy waiting 10-15 y before it looks good! But each to their own.

I'll def check out those nurseries tho. Wink
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weeping ash? Fraxinus excelsior "pendula". Faster growing, resilient, and unusual.
tippben

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of trees seem to do well in your area? It might help us determine what might be suitable, and what wouldn't stand a chance.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not getting at how you spend your money everyone to their own but there are lots of Landscapers and nurseries who will take your money if they know your budget.
You dont say how big the garden is and if it would take a weeping Beech which will eventually be a big tree and someone elses problem in the future.
I reccomend FAgus sylvatica 'Dawyck Gold' If you get your quote let us know and I will post the wholesale price for you although it may get me in trouble with landscapers.
ellee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weeping beeches are proving horribly expensive for a decent size one, like €800 or so, ouch. Haven't found anyone doing them in Dublin yet, that tree would have to come from Cork so the delivery is expensive.

One nursery suggested a parrotica persica which was half the price for a decent size one. Looks like an interesting tree, am thinking about it.

I'm in south dublin, there's everything an anything around. Some neighbours round the corner have a lovely japanese maple which seems to do fine but the angle for wind would be different for me. House faces sw and is at bottom of a grove, so can get a bit windy from time to time.

Otherwise, there's lilac, leylandii, those awful palm trees, we've a sycamore (deformed and stunted but still quite nice) in the back garden and there are loads of those around.

Garden is long. Yes I know the beeches get v big, but they are v slow to grow (that's why it's so expensive for a big one apparrently) and there are lots of big trees around, nursery said it could be planted within 4m of house but I'd probably put it back a bit further than that. It was the "purple fountain" I was thinking of.

Garden at front is quite long and tapers off at gate.

I'll google weeping ash now!

Thanks for all the replies!
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parrotica persica you dont want this wide low tree check it out in Bots in front of canteen.
Jeez who you asking for tree prices Try Campbell plants for specimen trees.
Flannerys Donadea or Caragh Nurderies all three in Kildare
djh

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite a good idea to move semi mature trees. There are three levels of tree spades, tractor mounted, JCB mounted and very large scale truck mounted. Of the three the mid one seems to make a lot of sense because it is used with a local JCB and can take decent sized trees. The problem is to find a suitable tree to move because ideally they need to be set up for moving with clipped roots.

The tree below is a golden weeping beech, not a copper one but it does seem to be popular judging by the number of times the photograph below is viewed.

This size of tree could easily be moved with a medium sized tree spade.

Latin name Fagus Sylvatica Aurea Pendula

tippben

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a nursery told you that you could plant any kind of beech 4m from the house, they're talking dangerous rubbish. Never go there again!
Anonany
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would be a bit nervy about any kind of beech near the house. They may be slow growing ... but oh boy, do they get there in the end ! I'ld hate to plant something today in the knowledge that -- as has already been mentioned -- it may have to be taken down at some future date.

If you want some "local" advice, you could try Calumet Nurseries, Kilquade, (National Garden Exhibition Centre). I've been buying from Tim Wallis for the last 30+ years and he's never yet led me astray. You might even get a few ideas from wandering around the exhibition gardens !

I've also found Scalp Wood Nurseries (Southside, so reasonably local) to be very helpful when buying both young and more mature shrubs/trees.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both these ar reputable suppliers and good garden people who know their stuff but whatever you buy will be imported, buy something homegrown that has already acclimatised or it will be another problem to add to your troubles trying to get it established.
How many time s has it crossed the sea, how was it transported and cared for on the journeyto many hauliers involved. You need something that has been handled and moved as little possible. Big trees need as little disturbance as possible.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know of a copper weeping beech that may be available in the shankill area.at present it stands 10ft approx.pm me if you are interested.it would not be able to be lifted until the autumn but is beautiful
ellee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I AM a bit nervy of a beech so close to the house. I do love them though. The photograph above tells you why!

I think the best thing is to go to some of the nurseries mentioned, have a good walk around and chat to the people there in person.

Where and what is "bots in front of canteen"???! Confused excuse my idiocy!

Does Flannerys talk to ordinary punters? Their site is dealer only?

Thanks again.
ellee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also meant to say, what about a weeping birch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: