Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Frost Damaged Hydrangea's

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Frost Damaged Hydrangea's Reply with quote

Hi, since the late hard frost we've received lately my Hydrangea leaves have gone from a lovely green colour to a rusty red to brown. They've now fallen off completely. I've noticed a lot of Hyrdangea's around the place are in the same condition. Will they grow back this year or do I have to look at a bald plant for the rest of the summer? It has pride of place in the middle of the bed so was wondering do I need to plant a few cosmos or something around it to camoflage it or will it be fine? Thanks.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me many years ago, and if my memory serves me right, there was a second flush of leaves to replace the frost damaged ones, but I can't remember if I got any flowers that year. Look more closely and see are there any buds, however small, that's where the new leaves will come from.
A few Cosmos will do no harm !
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Arnie "They will be back" slowly but it should be ok just a little set back.
catman

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Seems from a few of the other topics being discussed that frost damage is rampant this year. There are a few buds and a few of the lower leaves that were sheltered which have not been damaged so hopefully they will take the bare look off. I'm not holding out much hope for flowering though so may just have to put in a few cosmos anyway. I have lots of cosmos plants coming on in the greenhouse so there'll be no shortage of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: