Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Advice on garden pond please

Most Recent Posts Just saying.............
Last post: vulkan
Planning the garden jobs month by month - DECEMBER
Last post: tagwex
Rocks in troughs.
Time to go?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dusk
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Advice on garden pond please Reply with quote

Hi, we're almost finished our garden pond. We've never had a pond before so we are learning as we go, any advice would be very much appreciated. The pond is about two and a half foot deep in the centre, there is a shelf around the ourter edge which is about one foot down, and it is about four foot around. We just have to finish off the edges with more rocks and then we are ready to go ahead and get some plants etc. Could anyone advice me on where to buy water plants? Or how to take cuttings from a nearby pond? How many and what kind would we need?

We are thinking of having fish or getting some tadpoles for the pond, what would you recommend? Would tadpoles be cleaner than keeping fish? We are also adding a small waterfall, would this make a difference to keeping tadpoles?

Thanks in advance for any advice Smile
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll only have tadpoles for a few weeks. As soon as they develop four legs, they'll scoot out of the water. Fish are unable to scoot out of the water! Very Happy

By 4 feet round do you mean 4 feet in diameter or 4 feet in circumference? I presume you mean diameter. I wouldn't put too many plants in because it'll get overcrowded.

A water lily would be nice but fountains and water lilies don't go together because water lilies don't like being splashed all the time. Local plants could be too vigorous for a small pond and could quickly overwhelm it if you don't keep them under control. Purple Loosestrife would be one to consider, though. Marsh Marigold another.

You can get water plants from John Doorly at Irish Water Plants in Strokestown.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: new pond Reply with quote

hi dusk. welcome. any photos of your pond. Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
Dusk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kindredspirit, thank you for the advice. I know the tadpoles will not last long but I was thinking that maybe the frogs would hang about after they came to maturity, although I'm not too sure because we've got cats. I would rather have frogs about so still trying to figure out what the best option for all involved would be.

I mean four foot in diameter, I think Confused I'm not too good at measurements. It's four foot from one side to the other and it's circular.

I know fish are fine with fountains, but not sure if tadpoles/frogs are?
Thanks again Smile

ponddigger, thank you for the welcome Smile I do have photos, we have been taking photos as we went along, so will get them uploaded as soon as we have it finished Smile
vulkan
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually tadpoles and fountains don't go together that well either. Sad
Quite often I have cleaned a fountain pump only to find the outside is covered with dead tadpoles.

Some pumps are designed to pump solids to the pond bio-filter, unfortunately a pump does not know that a tadpole is is not to be sent to the bio- filter. (They get chopped up by the pump impeller)

As your pond is small, I would suggest you have either a fountain or tadpoles, not both.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show pondigger the photos he is the man on here who knows about ponds.
ponddigger

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: pond Reply with quote

hi dusk.are you building a small waterfall and stream running into the pond Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
ponddigger

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: pond Reply with quote

hi dusk.here is a video might be some use to you. Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy http://www.hozelock.com/hozelock-videos1/new-products-2/aquaforce-2.html
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either have fish, or wildlife. The fish will eat all the wild creatures, and will also need supplementary food, which they then excrete, meaning lots more sludge to clear out more often. Unless you really want fish, I'd go for a wildlife pond: just as interesting, ecologically beneficial, and less work and expense.
vulkan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben is not wrong, he has a good point, its easier to keep a wildlife pond than a pond with a waterfall. (its also more interesting)

If you go for the waterfall route you have to have mains electricity, a bio filter and a UV just to keep the water clear, the "all in one" pump filter UV units are not that reliable.
ponddigger

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: pond Reply with quote

hi dusk ,any update on your pond Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: