Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

SPUDs research project

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: SPUDs research project Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea - and its still not too late to plant.

SPUDS (sustainable potatoes united research project) is looking for enthusiastic volunteers for our unusual project.

They are looking for: social media experts, food bloggers, artists, actors, designers, producers, administrators, photographers, presenters, script writers, chefs, storytellers, everybody and anybody!

SPUDS is a nationwide community based research project which was developed in response to Teagasc's application to trial Genetically Modified potatoes in Ireland.

They are giving away naturally blight resistant potato seed for free to anyone and everyone who is willing to grow it this summer and document their experience.

These potatoes promise to diminish the carbon footprint of potato cultivation dramatically by illiminating the need to routinely spray fungicide.

This practice is currently impacting on the health of farmers, the natural environment and groundwater as well leading to fines from the EU.

European Commission statistics from 2010 suggest that people are more likely to buy a product that provides benefits both to the environment and food safety.
SPUDS would like to test this theory by giving the public a role in the research process.

The campaign will need help with a range of activities over the year including the following

-Packaging, distributing and handing out potatoes to the public

-Communication with hundreds of participants around the country

-Fund raising for the project including the development of a FUNDIT Campaign

-The organisation of a potato festival this autumn

-Analysing the data from our research and the preparation of a final report

If you are passionate about developing a sustainable food system in Ireland and would like to offer your support SPUDs would love to hear from you.

If you do contact them do mention where you got the news from

Please find further information about the project at www.spuds.ie www.facebook.com/SPUDS.research

Contacts:

Nike Ruf

nike@spuds.ie

086 607 9220

Kaethe Burt-O'Dea

kaethe@spuds.ie

087 244 4185

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are giving away naturally blight resistant potato seed for free to anyone and everyone who is willing to grow it this summer and document their experience.

These potatoes promise to diminish the carbon footprint of potato cultivation dramatically by illiminating the need to routinely spray fungicide.

This practice is currently impacting on the health of farmers, the natural environment and groundwater as well leading to fines from the EU.

European Commission statistics from 2010 suggest that people are more likely to buy a product that provides benefits both to the environment and food safety.

Which spuds are naturally blight free.
How will they diminish carbon footprints.
Who was fined and when,
The last statement is subjective.(What people are the related to the Ordinary man in the street)
Who are SPUDS at least Teagasc is a gov Organisation, All the above seems very wishy washy stuff to me then what would I know.
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, growing yor own food obviously reduces carbon footprint.
SPUDs are just conducting an experiment, I'mtaking part

Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Axona I kno to be blight resstant, as are my favorites - Setanta.
If you want to find out more about them I suggest visiting thei website

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont get this carbon footprint
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/2009/11/global-carbon-footprint-scam.html
I googled it and U tube supplied the answer in a simple form I could understand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRNd6K8kS4M
I edited this after posting so found something nearer home
http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sinequanon/2011/10/21/the-carbon-footprint-fraud-part-1-2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: