Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Rain water harvesting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Most Recent Posts New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage
Roll on 2019
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sue. Those are really useful photos. I'm interested in the type of pump you used, too.

Just to confirm, there is no separate reservoir, just the polythene cistern? I like the simplicity. Sometimes, I've looked at the big polythene tanks etc out at the agricultural co-op and thought they could be put to water-garden use.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of rummaging around, I have finally tracked down the invoices for the job (really must clear out the caravan). The pump is a Lotus Otter Premier Pond Pump 2000!

I got it from aquacadabra. It cost 44.95. We got 3 of them, one for our little pond, one for the big, formal pool at my friend's and one for this little feature. It is a bit too big for this job, but we reckoned it was better to turn the flow down than not have enough power.

It doesn't get much use - only when they have visitors Rolling Eyes but ours has run 24/7 for the past 3 years (except for cleaning and when the pond was iced over) Very Happy

ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sue,thanks for the imfo.on pump. I like hozelocks pumps myself. jack
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sue. Thanks for the info. It is duly filed away for future reference.
cravings
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone

good threads some of these.

i'm at the stage where i'm planning watering infrastructure and such. specifically i'm preparing to build the block base for the greenhouse.. and seems to make sense to put a water pipe through under the blocks... not 100% sure what sort of watering system i might come up with, but no harm in having a meter of pipe through i could connect something to later, no?

anyway.. real question here is.. has anyone run a water pipe underground? i think building regulations are 900mm under ground for mains water pipes.. i'm thining if i buried a length of blue poly pipe or similar to cross under the lawn, it would be really helpful in future to be able to rig up a tap on the far side of the grass...

this wouldn't be mains, would be fed by an ibc.. haven't figured all the details out, just at the idea stage really.

nayone done this and had problems with freezing?

cheers.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my friend's garden we ran a length of pipe from her house to the veg garden. Some of it is under the drive, about 1' down. The rest runs along the path/border edges, about 6" under the stone path - which is itself about 3" deep. It has gone through 4 winters so far with no problems, though the winters have not been THAT cold.

We ran it along path edges so it would be easy to find and hard to put a spade through!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building regs are really about the pipes supplying mains water to the house and taking waste water away. It is vital that these neither freeze in a hard winter nor suffer mechanical damage due to cultivation etc, hence the depth. You are unlikely to be doing much watering in a freeze-up! Sue's advice re routing her friend's pipe is good.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading this through and formulating my reply and then I read GG's. For once he is spot on and virtually said what I was going to say.
If you can get 900mm depth then do it as then you should never have a problem. Personally, I have an overground 1/2" hose running overground with an 8 variation sprinkler head in the greenhouse and an irrigation system on a timer that drips water out at a rate that I can set. I don't tend to water much during the winter!!!
If you are at design stage look into incorporating a heat sump before it is too late.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
cravings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one all. yeah i'm not really thinking of going 90cm down.. but maybe cut as much of a slit as i think i'll get away with in the grass, push the pipe down as far as it'll go, and just close up the slit again and presume it'll recover
do you think a greenhouse heat sump is really necessary?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you are growing. If it is through the frosty periods then yes. Also, if you are at planning/construction stage then why not? Cover all bases.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: