Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

peas, beans, dwarf beans, which to do on this structure???

Most Recent Posts re potato spraying
Last post: mange tout
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout
How are your tomatoes doing? 2017
Last post: Sue Deacon
Best solution for slugs?
Last post: Gardini

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sipherlucian
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: peas, beans, dwarf beans, which to do on this structure??? Reply with quote

hey folks, i built this munty frame the other day and want to get started putting my plugs in to climb it. im growing runner beans, dwarf beans and peas but im not sure which is best for this, i was hoping to put peas on one side and runners on the other, i know the runners will climb it but would peas and dwarf beans scale it? its 5" at the back and 7" at the front.

second frame is for melons, going to put wire on both sides (funding got the better of me) and climb melons up both sides holding them in hammocks.

i was thinking of making the melon frame again 5" high but with string like the munty frame and maybe that would be more ideal for peas??? not sure what to do id appreciate advice before i put the plugs in the ground

also i have garlic and onions there, they are coming along fine i was just wondering if i shoveled some more manure between them would it give them a little boost?

munty_frame001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  755.55 KB
 Viewed:  3960 Time(s)

munty_frame001.jpg

melon_frame.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  647.18 KB
 Viewed:  3960 Time(s)

melon_frame.JPG

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of carpentry,
One thing you will have to consider is the strenght of the wire and string as both Peas and Melons will add some weight to the structure.
I would have used heavier gauge wire on the second pic. I also think they will cast a lot of shade if you are trying to grow garlic and onions beneath them.
Look really good though post some more pics when they are covered with peas and melons.
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi that's fantastic work. Have seen the munty frame on UK sites. If it is facing south you should have no problem with shading. The beans and peas will climb it but you might consider adding some cheap euro shop pea netting for the pea tendrils as they will spread more than the beans. The dwarfs dont climb, they dont produce tendrils. They will only get about 18 inches to 2 foot high at the most. So plant them under the peas and beans in the open part. Keep in mind to leave room for access for picking the peas and beans. Maybe put the beans a bit forward to leave a strip to walk on in front of the peas/beans. You could put a plank down to keep off the soil. I think your plan for the melons will work but of course it will all depend on the weather so pick the variety carefully! That melon frame work work well for outdoor cucumbers too!
The manure wouldn't hurt as long as it is well rotted and they could do with a little boost at this time as they will be bulking up. You could even use a liquid feed or fish/blood and bone scraped into the soil.
Well done, it looks great.
dormouse

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the beans though as it is still quite cold. Use plastic bottles over them for some protection or wait just a little while, weather JUST HAS TO improve soon.
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks thanks for the compliments and advice I'm just back from planting my beans on it. I planted whitelady and polestar runner beans on the munty frame, I made a frame from bamboo about 3 feet tall in front of them for the dwarf beans and I'm going to a row or 2 of peas in front again with space between them all.
the garlic has constant sun thankfully, I think I'll try to grow cucumber on the other side of the melon frame, I have a few courgette plants maybe they can climb the frame? I'll keep posting images as it progresses thanks again
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dormouse I'll do that! I must say its been a x year for crops so far
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rows of peas and runner beans should run North South, allow at least 60 cms between peas and other crops. I admire your structures, well done.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

sipherlucian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Michael!
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky the munty frame actually is running north to south!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: