Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Woohoo New Polytunnel

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
shellyt
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Woohoo New Polytunnel Reply with quote

Hi all, I have been reading loads of posts for a while now and decided to join because of all of the great advice. My husband bought me a polytunnel for my birthday and we are awaiting it's arrival with barely contained excitement, I have been, for the past few weeks, sowing with abandon, hehehe i have atlantic giant pumpkins, melons, tomatoes, (all repotted already) and peas that i grew in toilet roll holders....i know, i know sounds nuts but i read it somewhere and they are looking fantastic. Today i sowed french beans, basil, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and marigolds...can't wait till they pop out..... i kinda sound like a complete lunatic but i really ain't lol. I plan on building raised beds in the polytunnel and will be getting scaffolding planks to make them. I want them at least two boards high so i won't be stooping too much, but here's the dilemma... do i just use bought in topsoil or do i go for a mix of topsoil and manure??? Oh and the polytunnel is only 10ft by 10ft so gonna have great fun working out what can go where any suggestions?? Both peas and french beans are non support types aside from that don't have a clue what i can put with which plant. Suggestions greatly appreciated.... thanks everyone looking forward to picking everyones brains when i get going.
shelly
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it girl! Just a small bit of advice, check the planting distance for each plant (on the back of your seed packet) If you plant all of the above in your tunnel, David Attenborough and a team of firemen won"t find you.
shellyt

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i guess you're right i suppose i was a tad over enthusiastic but we live and learn and i plan on giving family members any overs and at this rate i'll need a lorry ha ha but thanks for the advice,
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say if space is limited, you're best growing peas, which will do OK outside, outside the polytunnel, and planting more temperature sensitive plants in the polytunnel.
shellyt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks medieval thats a better idea i am going to grow the pumpkins and the peas outside but do peas need alot of sunshine or will they tolerate a little shade ?? Oh and anyone any ideas about purple under leaves on tomato seedlings, they were fine yesterday but this morningi noticed slight purple patches on the underside of some of the leaves, should i give them a feed yet ??? Thanks everyone.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See tomato plants under Vegetable section
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your excitement is contagious, Have fun in you tunnell. Your tomato problem was answered by Michael Brennock under the vegetable growing section. Use the search bar at the top of page, one of the best tools in the garden!!!

Post pic when you are up and running, and have fun!!!!
shellyt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys i found the answer to my tomato dilemma and now have them tucked up in fleece till the morning..... tomorrow is the day i am picking up my new polytunnel.... can't wait, lets see if i havent shot or divorced the hubby by tomorrow night, he isn't the most patient of men lol.
shellyt

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya all well am absolutely knackered got the bones of the polytunnel up today, took us ages to make sure everything was level as the garden slopes quite a bit so have to digout the trench tomorrow for the polythene then it's away we go.......of course weather permitting lol.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see a pic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: